Need Help With The Business Side!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by All Around Lawn, Nov 20, 2013.

1. All Around Lawn

All Around Lawn LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I am 18 years old and just graduated high school from Prince Avenue Christian School in Athens, Ga (Which is just a side not that I decided to put on here). I have been doing lawn care and some small landscaping jobs since the 8Th grade. Within the last two years I have upgraded my equipment from the ole trusty Snapper to a Scag Tiger Cat (My opinion go with Exmark learned my lesson the hard way).

Now to the main part, I would like to get anyone's tips and opinions on the business side of lawn care. Also, feel free to give me tips in general on anything to do with lawn care. I have always just done jobs as the customer needed and for a cheap price. I learned the hard way like that. I want to get into contracts and stuff like that. I do have a business license and in the process of becoming insured.

Anything will help and can't wait to hear from you.
  2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a college near you that offers business classes and accounting. Take a few classes on business management and accounting.

Read "The E-Myth" by Michael E. Gerber

Read everything you can (books, magazine articles, internet forums, blogs, etc.) on Entrepreneurship, business management, being you own boss, and how to treat your business like a business.

Contact your local S.C.O.R.E. chapter.

Don't be the guy with the "cheap price".

It's much cheaper for you to learn from other people's mistakes and to make your own mistakes while employed by those other people.
  3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

As quickly as possible learn how to Work ON your business instead of IN your business, ALWAYS be thinking of how you can be out selling the business instead of out mowing and landscaping in the business. Your company should always be working to increase clientele, you can't do that if your on the mower.
  4. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

DITTO! Great advice.