Need Help With this estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WeatherMan, Sep 29, 2003.

1. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Hello and Thanks in advace for the help. So He it is:
    Customer wants a retaining wall made with the precast block to PIC the wall is 64 foot Long 32" inchs high The Blocks are 4" thick so it should take about 530 blocks. I know alot of people Charge by the block to lay. Please Help Im stuck On this one.

2. WeatherMan

Sorry heres the Pic

3. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

4. WeatherMan

Pgh how did you come up with that #

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I did a small wall with that block last year, very easy to work with. I think I bought them at home depot for $1.97 each. So heres my est:

530 blocks @ 1.97=1044.10+25% markup=1305.12 +tax=1399.74

Base= about 12 man hrs= 600.00

Lay block= 530 X $2 = 1060.00

Back fill wall with round stone and cleanup= 300

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like a face foot price. But here's the problem with any of us giving you a price. First, your material costs may not match mine. Second, I can't see the site for accessibility issues. I don't know how far the material has to be hauled to the wall and what equipment I can use to get it there. Third, your equipment and employee capabilities and costs are unique. Fourth, why are you going with a DIY style block? Fifth, do you intend to install a compacted base and drainage behind the wall? Construction techniques affect costs.
    I'm trying to show you that a quick $$ answer can be useful or dangerous but no one knows which without more info.
  7. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

My price will be much lower then most on this site, but I would charge at least $12 per sq. ft.
    This is my minimum. There are many additional costs though (backfill gravel, dirt, drainage pipe, block cost, etc.)
  8. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

Lanelle is spot on with this one. You really need to sit down and figure your costs before you can determine your price - and as he so clearly points out, it has a whole lot to do with site conditions, skill, what your overhead is etc. I would rather no bid than bid quickly (like using face feet or per paver) or inaccurately. Take my word for it, pricing by the face foot is not the way to go.

Also, you do need to use a commercial block for this one. The Home Depot stuff won't cut it.
  9. WeatherMan

Well The site is easy to get to it is along the main road so know problem getting my backhoe to dig the foundation, and to backfill with crushed gravel . The reason I'm using that style block is I gave the cust. several choices and that is the block he choose this is not my first wall but the biggest, So any Suggestions would be helpful

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use versa-lok wall on this job sense it is going to be a fair sized wall. The block the cust has chosen will obviously work but i trust versa lok on bigger walls a little more.