Need help with this one!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Apr 25, 2002.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Have a prospective customer that has a large tractor with a bush hog and wants me to mow an extreamly large area (read: a field) behind their house.

Question: How do I price my services using someone else's equipment?

I'd like the experience of learning how to drive a tractor & I want to be paid for doing it.

Any suggestions?

Cordially,
    Sheppard

2. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

Maybe ask for $10-$15 per hour?I've never had the situation come up before but another contractor and myself "hire" each other for $10 an hour.But only when I'm caught up.Hope this helps.Richard

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, I would not even think about doing it unless I had the time...and right bout now, I don't have the time.

But if I did, I would charge minimum $35 per hour (for me to operate the equipment) and more likely $45 or $50. I only say this because I make more money running my own equipment than other people's.

Just my 2 cents...

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Rodfather is right. Opportunity cost!

Also, if you tear something up he will expect your G/L insurance to be effective. Better make enough to cover yourself.

5. gaunlet13

gaunlet13 LawnSite Member

I mow my own pastures using a 2615L BushHog (15' cutter). With this cutting width you can cut 3-5 acres an hour depending on terrian and what kind of trash is in the way.
    Some of the guys that I know mow commerically using a 15' shredder. Their fee $35-45 / hour depending on height of brush/grass amount of trash, and how rough the property is.
    When you cut with a shredder MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE OWNER THE HEIGHT HE WANTS IT MOWED.
    Greg

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

This gives me a great place to start!

Cordially,
    Sheppard