1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with this river rock bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by peapod1125, Sep 13, 2011.

1. peapod1125

peapod1125 LawnSite Member

I am bidding a job where I have to kill existing grass and spread 2B River stone. The job is on the edge of a parking lot so I can use a bobcat. I have to rent it at $165 a day. The area is 475 feet x 6.5 feet. I figured around 50 or so yards of stone so it is plenty deep enough. Thats at $30 a yard. I will need about $150 worth of weed mat also. My question is how much to mark everything up. My labor shoun not be more than $250 not including myself. Labor and materials I estimate I am around $2500. I just need help with mark up and charging for my labor/judging amount of time to do the job. Thanks for any help in advance.:usflag:
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I always wonder if those guys who 'mark up' items subject to sales tax , also know enough to use their tax number then charge the tax on the increased amount... :)
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I mark things up at least 15%. Spreading 50 yards of anything, even with a machine, is going to take some time. I've never spread river stone like that but have spread plenty of driveway stone. I'd probably budget 2 days for the job to be sure I made money on it. I can't imagine it would take longer than that.

What about trucking cost?

Are you subbing out the killing of the existing grass?

Considering your material and equipment cost is $1,815 and your labor cost is $250, $2,500 seems pretty low to me. Remember you're trying to make a profit, not just cover your costs!
  4. peapod1125

peapod1125 LawnSite Member

That $2500 figure was not total. That was the cost of materials, the killing of the existing turf, and roughly 2 to 3 days labor for my guys. Trucking is included in the price of the stone, they said maybe an additional $100. They are located less than a mile from where the job site is which makes it great in that respect.

I figure maybe exact cost of materials with 15% markup, plus labor and other expenses and maybe what I would like to make for a couple days work.

I came up with roughly $3850 total. Does that seem ok?
  5. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

have you ever done work like this before? Even if you rent a bob cat it is still going to be extremly difficult.. Your labor charge is practicly giving that away...jmo
  6. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

For 50 yards of river stone that would be like 5000.00!
  7. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

On jobs like these I keep everything as simple as possible:
    First, I add the price for materials (including sales tax, if applicable). But while getting all the materials, it is still as if I am on the job - thus however long it takes to get all the stuff is multiplied by my hourly wage (yours may be $40, $50, $60, etc.). This goes against your conventional markup but my hourly rate is used as that is the basis to generate revenue.

This sum is added to the time (hours) I estimate for the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device