Need help with Troy Bilt trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by E_Nordhoff, Apr 29, 2005.

1. E_Nordhoff

E_Nordhoff LawnSite Member

I recently bought a Troy Bilt TB425CS trimmer but the line is not feeding properly and in addition to that it appears that it is getting quite hot and melting the string while on the spool. Has anyone had a similar experience and if so can you recommend a fix for this.

Thank you.

2. If it is the one I think it is - a large diameter and black in color - that head is designed to only work with "split-line".

This is a double line where the spinning actually seperates the two lines (think half of four prong trailer wiring). Single line will not feed correctly and gets bound up inside and yes could cause restricition and therefore heat.

The only place I know that sells this split-line is Lowe's, and they only sell pre-wrapped spools - not bulk line.

Hope this helps

3. stvnbc

stvnbc LawnSite Member
    from NC

I am happy to see this thread, I have the same exact problem. I bought a TB475SS. I think they are the same except mine is a straight shaft. The trimmer comes with .095" Dual Line W/Bump Head release. The line will not feed right and it seems to have a spot where it melts to the plastic head encasement inside close to the shaft. I hope somebody can offer any suggestions. This is driving me nuts........

Thanks!

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldn't this be moved to the Homeowners section. I know someone else would of said it if I didn't.

5. stvnbc

stvnbc LawnSite Member
    from NC

I am sorry for asking such a homeownerish question. I started my Lawn Maint. business part time last year with 7 customers and was able to expand this year to 18. Maybe I can afford a "real" trimmer this summer, but in the meantime the Troy Bilt is all I have.

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

After you rewind the spool, spray a ton of WD-40 before you it put it back on, my Kawi was melting line as well untill I did this, works everytime...hope it helps!!!

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Some ppl seem to be a Lil bit testy. The reason this is the commercial forum is because we are business' which use commercial equipment. I'm not knocking you for buying from Lowes or Home Depot but the homeowners forum is where most ppl will be using the same equipment as you.

8. E_Nordhoff

E_Nordhoff LawnSite Member

Sorry to bother you "Jeff" I hope my posting incorrectly will not cost you too much sleep....

To everyone else I thank you for the responce, I will try the WD-40 in the morning when I get started.

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Wd 40 does work and also dumping the entire head in water works also. I had this same problem with one of mine and even with the wd 40 ...once it wears off it will do it again.....I had to buy a new head for mine and not the same brand ...this fixed my problem

10. WICKEDZ245

WICKEDZ245 LawnSite Member

The head on this trimmer is junk ..i have instlled heavier springs ,new parts and it still feeds line out at random ..always have to carry wire cutters and run at low rpms