1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Two

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MWM, Feb 1, 2002.

1. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

1. It has been suggested to my co. that we would save money by switching from bulk mulch to bag. aside from the the obvious waste factor, has anyone checked this out to see if bagged product is more efficient in getting to the area and spreading? And if so, do you have any production numbers?
    2. How has a Dingho or other mini/loader saved significant time that could not have been saved by a full size skidsteer? E.G. What can they load, what can they auger, what can they till. You get the picture. I want one but I'm trying to make an educated purchase.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: mwm, the only bagged mulch that we use is cedar, i get my mulch deliverd to my yard for 8.50 a yard what we dont use we bring back. the mulch we use is as dark as night and is triple ground, it would be more expensive for us to buy the bag.

i have demoed a dingo a while back, great little machine, BUT in most cases it cannot lift into a dump truck, though i had many uses for it i could not justify the 13,000 price tage when i bought my CAT 226 w/ cab and heat, bucket and forks for 24,000. i have far many more uses for my skid than i ever thought, if you can spring the extra money go for the larger unit. TONY
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

For commercial maintenance jobs, bagged mulch saves labor and is used extensively by large maintenance companies. For new installations where equipment can be used, bulk may be a less expensive choice. So, I think the answer to the question is site-driven.
  4. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Deciding on what type of product you use is determined by the needs and ability of your company to handle it as well as the cost. Bagged products always cost more than bulk but are sometimes the solution to a difficult handling situation. We use as much double ground hardwood bark mulch as possible because of the availability and cost in our area. If a customer has a request for a product that is only available in bagged it is priced accordingly.
    We have both a skid steer and a compact tractor, both with various attachments available. My main concern with some of the smaller units on the market is their inability to load into a truck. Each machine has its advantages and disadvantages it all depends on what the bulk of your work is comprised of and where you think the machine would be most advantageous.
  5. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

When you say customer requests would be "charged accordingly"
    what would use use as a number of bags spread per hour or how many minutes per bag. I may not have asked the question this direct in my earlier post but this is part of the info I was looking for.
    Thanks for the replys folks