Need help with very large bid.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DTE, Jan 29, 2006.

1. DTE

DTE LawnSite Member

I am new to the biz. I have a large bid I need to get in this week. It is a Hospital, Mediplex next door, and a small storage building about 15 miles away. Man told me he was not satisfied with the bids already turned in.
    I have walked the property and made measurements and calculations.

At the hospital, @2 hr of mowing. @1hr 40min of trimming, @2547ft of curbing/edging, all shrubs, hedges, ect. will take about 30 min to shape up, and @ 20 min to blow everything off. @210sq ft of mulched beds to maintain.

At the Mediplex, @1hr of mowing, 50 min of trimming, @30 to shape up all shrub's, hedges, ect., @1900ft of edging, and @20min to blow everything off. @ 200sq ft of mulched beds to maintain.

Contract needs everything mulched 1 time per year, winter rye grass put out on @30% of property, of course cut during the winter, one major leaf removal at first of year, fertilizer applied 2 or 3 times a year to grass, trees, and flower beds. They need a separate price for the 2 properties. I have a price
    for the storage area.

The property is fairly flat and I will be able to cut 90% of the grass with my 52" Ex mark. Sorry so long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. david scott

david scott LawnSite Member

hard to say?areyou solo,havecrew,what's competition like in your area,operating costs,assuming 12 mnth contract?figuring profit?

3. DTE

DTE LawnSite Member

I am solo now, the property requires work comp if I have any workers. Don't have enough business yet to justify the cost up. There are a lot of people running around here, but I don't think many of them have a structured business.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is absolutely, positively no possible way to tell this. I CAN tell you this, though. There is one statement in your first post that raises red flags....
    "Man told me he was not satisfied with the bids already turned in."

5. david scott

david scott LawnSite Member

only thing i can tell you is go to comm. mowing forum and look around at some of the titles to comm. bids........might help you but every body prices differently if there not happy with what's bieng turned in they may be hard to work for anyways...some jobs are'nt worth the headache no matter what they pay!!!!!good luck

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

pass on it.....you havent even been in business a year yet.... the first few years is where we make our mistakes and learn from them.... make your mistake on smaller jobs to learn from..... somone who is not ready for this type of job can go under or ruin your reputation(which you havent built yet) from making the wrong decisions....

good luck hope it all goes good..:)