need help with weed killer

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by pineneedles, Mar 26, 2007.

1. pineneedles

pineneedles LawnSite Member
    from NC

have a lawn with centipede sod (first area) and st. aug. sod(second area). i have various weeds growing in these areas but mainly crab grass. what is a good type of fert/weed killer for theses types of sod without damage to stand of grass.

2. ccash

ccash Banned

well I would put down a pre emerge like dimension because there is no safe grassy weed post emergel for st. aug.

3. ccash

ccash Banned

for the centipede I use vantage but after the centepede is fully out of transition.. What part of NC are you in?

4. pineneedles

pineneedles LawnSite Member
    from NC

in the sandhills area. thanks for your input & future input ccash. I am a recent citizen of Wrightsville Beach for a couple of years, only been back in the sandhills for a year or so. If you ever need any lumber in your area let me know. I have a great deal at 84 lumber.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I would use nothing with high 2-4D in it on warm season turf. There are other more effective herbicides to use which kill the crabgrass and leave the turfgrass.

6. ccash

ccash Banned

i have used 2-4d on 80+ acres of turf on golf courses for years trust me if you take care of it with proper fert. there is no yellowing most all superintendents do it. but i would not do it during transition.

7. ccash

ccash Banned

Wrightsville Beach is nice.