Need help with weeds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Sythik, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Sythik

Sythik LawnSite Member

Im looking for advice on maintaining a yard of grass this year instead of weeds. Right now my yard is covered in weeds and is so tall I need to mow it badly. The problem is its soaking wet, I live in North Mississippi minutes from Memphis, it rains here every other day this time of year. I dont know if I should mow it then spread some type of weed killer or spread the weed killer first? And I have no idea what kind of stuff to use. Any Help?

2. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

My advice and what I did was completely kill off the yard with round-up. I tried planing in the spring but as far south as you are (much like me) I had better results planting in the fall and let winter thicken up the yard.

Come spring, which is where I am now with my back yard just spot spray with weed killer.

A little hint, ortho weed b gon is great but specticide Weed stop works better and kills more faster and pssss its cheaper then weed b gon :)

3. bluridge

bluridge LawnSite Member

specticide is junk to me. Does not work THAT fast and yeah...its cheap for a reason. IMO the ortho stuff acts much faster. you get what you pay for.

4. Sythik

Sythik LawnSite Member

I got the yard mowed today, it hadnt rained and the ground was mostly dry. With mostly my whole yard needing treatment is this the best option: Ortho® Weed B Gon MAX® for Southern Lawns Concentrate? Just mix it in one of those bottle sprayers and do the whole yard.

5. ussoldierforhire

ussoldierforhire LawnSite Member

Depends on what weeds you have. Don't treat a freshly cut lawn. Wait a few days for the leaves to grow. Herbicide needs contact with the leaves. Read the label, make sure it wont kill your type of grass. Lastly, search this forum for information on pre-emergent herbicides to prevent future weeds from germinating.

6. kirk1701

Give you guys an idea what I do, keep a journal, anything and everything new that I do I write down (MS Word is great for this and since I teach MS word just works well for me) and even note when I appled scheduled fertilizer applications. Before I try something new I always go back and note the results of what I tried so I know next time.

Some of my enties:
    Note I also include how much it takes so I know how much to buy next year at this time :)

7. kirk1701

Just thought I'd post up some results of the March 30th application (see above) of Spectracide Weed Stop® plus crabgrass killer compared to Ortho Weed B Gon MAX.

I just took this pic tonight, April 2 when I got home and not only has the weeds started to turn brown the whole yard turned yellow where I applied it ;) which I am a bit concerned about being that it should not harm the grass just the weeds.

I might be able to get a better pic tomorrow but notice how green the grass is at the bottom of the pic. Then there is a clear line starting at the tree all the way the the pine trees you can see at the end of the lot.

Question, should I be worried about the yellowing? I used the material out of this same bottle last year and it did not do this? :confused:

IMG_0799.jpg

8. ussoldierforhire

ussoldierforhire LawnSite Member

Depends what type of grass you have. Certain weed killers will kill your lawn. Weed B gone isn't supposed to but it could definitely put a hurting on it for a bit. I wouldn't worry to much.

9. kirk1701

Thanks ussoldierforhire,
    Originally I just wanted to use as the pic as a example for this thread and don't want to hi-jack the guys thread.

The yellowing looks worse then in pic and since I have a few questions I'm going to start a new thread for my problem.:dancing: