need help with yellow nutsedge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BBN, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

I have Bermuda in the front yard and yellow nutsedge has blended itself in with it. It makes the lawn look alot taller than what it is since it grows so fast. What would be a good herbicide to kill it off? Thanks

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Sedgehammer, make sure you use a sticker when mixing. It may take multiple applications since it grows from seed and tubers, and is likely to reinfest the same areas the following years until you eradicate it all. My supplier sells a small bottle covering an acre or more for $100, or individual use packets are close to $10 and makes 1-2 gallons of mix.

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My rep just recommended "Certantied" Sp? I can't comment yet as we just applied some last week.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Certainty is what I use in the "sedge paradise" of America. This goes down at 1.25 oz/acre + 1 oz Quicksilver and 1 qt MSO. This mix causes dramatic damage to sedges within 5 days. Would rather use Dismess, but it is illegal here.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

SedgeHammer has worked very well for me... it takes two weeks, but the kill is excellent. But.... I am on cool season grasses and zoysia.... know nothing about Bermuda.

7. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

BBN
    How does your Bermuda do in IL. Do you have much winter kill? I didn't know Bermuda was used much north of Kansas City. Just interested.

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I've used it all. Sedgehammer is good--use a good sticker and remember that it has a shelf life of about 4-6 hours depending on the PH of your water. Dismiss is best of all but really expensive. I've treated all of my lawns and they are Kyliinga free, and Sedge free. The overwaterinig and shallow watering will promote the sedges even more. Another good treatement is a Simazine and Image mix, or a Simazine and Basagran mix. On other turf Vantage/Basagran will work extremly well, but Vantage can not be used on Bermuda.
    Read up on the label of the Image/Simazine combo or use the Sedgehammer and sticker.
    Roy

9. turfman07

turfman07 LawnSite Member

sedgehammer is good, but i like using certainty because it will also control green kyllinga. certainty doesn't work as fast as sedgehammer, but it does a good job. remember, you have to use sticker like Ralmaroad said.

10. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

dismiss or sedgehammer are good I think. I have had success with both of them. watch your temps. with application to warm season turf.