Need help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by soilman, Sep 10, 2005.

1. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

I need someone with a truck, perhaps as a business partner, or perhaps as an employee.

I have 2 self-propelled 21 inch lawnmowers, an edger, a string trimmer, and I can afford to spend $300 on a good backpack blower. I have the mechanical skills to maintain my equipment. I have good small business bookkeeping skills.

I have been printing out flyers and distributing them locally, and have gotten one job so far. I want to start doing fall leaf-cleanups as soon as I get the blower. A partner or employee with a truck or other motor vehicle would be very helpful.

I am in Shirley, New York.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Son, what your article reads is 'omg i am in dire straits and i need someone to bail me out,' sounds like you're broke and desperate with no work, and nobody in their right mind is going to help you other than someone else in your exact same predicament and if THAT happens, it's double doom.
    Now you SHOULD have done a lot of things different, I don't know if you already quit your job but I can see you're finding out real fast it is NOT as easy as it looks. NEXT time, save 5 or 10 thousand dollars first OR go do it right now, takes about 2-4 years of working ALL the time for someone else, busting your tail and never going out, sitting at home and doing NOTHING but save money.
    Once you got the money saving down pat, come back here and READ all the stuff (probably 2-3 days worth) we talk about to help out the new owner, as you will see it fits your style at that point.

The only other option I see is you need to do leaves all by yourself, you survive the fall and I guarantee it will kick-start your spring season.

3. TripleT'sLawnCare

TripleT'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

I started out the same way two years ago. I had about 10 accounts, 2 push mowers, a trimmer, blower, truck and a dream. I did not have the money to buy a mower and did not have the good credit to finance one ( divorce, long story). I met a guy how had a 2 year old craftsman lawn tractor and had health problems prohibiting him from mowing his grass anymore. I made a deal with him that I would mow his grass for 2 years free if he would let me have his mower. He agreed. I took a 1000.00 loan out of my 401k from my main job to purchase a trailer and put a tow package on my truck. Six months later I had all the accounts I could handle by myself with the equipment I had. I took on a partner who was looking for something to do after work. He had credit to buy a z-turn mower, commercial 2-cycle equipment etc. We have grown 500% in the last year and we are still picking up 2-3 accounts a week. What ever equipment you are using, do a great job and the accounts will come. Grow at the pace your business allows you. Don't go deep into debt without the steady income to pay your bills, pay yourself, and pay for operation expenses. Don't forget about your opps fund. Mistakes happen. Plan ahead.

4. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

TripleT -- thanks for the info.

Topsites
    Huh? What on earth are you talking about. Where did I say I EVER thought it would be easy?

I did not quit my job. I would love to get a job, but having applied for 100's of jobs, and having distributed about 100 flyers, I know that I get about a 2% response to my flyers -- get 2 jobs for every 100 flyers -- and make about $100. If I apply for 100 jobs -- distribute 100 resumes and go to 100 interviews -- I get zero jobs and make nothing. So the obvious choice, in my situation, is to "apply" for jobs I can get. I can get individual lawn mowing jobs. I cannot get hired to work for a lawn care company.

Why is it double doom if someone in a similar predicament gets together with me? There are thousands of people in my area in a similar predicament as me. Millions across the United States. Some of them may have an old truck that works, but no lawn and garden tools, no computer, no ability to maintain and repair 4-cycle and 2-cycle engines, no tools to do so, and no accounting knowhow. It seems to me that all I have to do it meet one and we are all set -- we have everything we need. I basicly just need that one person with that one item. Perhaps you are right, perhaps it is "double doom" if I hook up with such a person -- but unless you have a more detailed and more plausible explanation, I fail to see it.

Jeez, if I could get a decent job, do you think I would want to quit it and go mow my neighbors lawns and rake their leaves? I friggin hate mowing lawns and raking leaves. But people will hire me to do it; they won't hire me to develop their web sites, or their databases, or do their computerized book keeping, or one of the myriad of other things I can do.

5. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

By the way, I put a similar message in the Employment section, where I think it is more appropriate, and then tried to erase this message, in the Just Starting in Business forum, but apparently there is no way to erase it.

6. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Topsites, you have enough to eat, and enough clothing and shelter, and been too strong and capable of working, for too long -- and have been out of touch with what the rest of us are going thru. Maybe you need to sprain an ankle and be unable to work for a few weeks, then have your house blow away in one of those catastrophe's that insurance companies exempt from insurance coverage, and need to spend all your savings on a new shelter, and see what you would try and do to survive day to day.

7. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

I don't need anyone to "bail" me out. I need someone to cooperate with me, to do things that are easier for 2 people to do together, than for each of them to do alone. For example if 2 people have 2 heavy air conditioners that they each need to put in a window, much easier than one person lifting one air conditioner, and the other person lifting the other, would be both lifting one, then subsequently both lifting the other. The first might be impossible, the second very easy. This is called cooperation, and is what separates the civilized people of the world from the shortsighted and self-centered people of the world.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

sorry

9. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Uhhhh.......