Need help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rebs, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

I have a new Oak tree about 8-9' tall and 4-5" in diameter that has some sap coming out with this white stuff. It looks like the tree has about 4 or 5 pimples! What is this? And what do I need to do?

Thanks

2. lawnpro1

lawnpro1 LawnSite Member

sounds like asian ambrosia beetles to me. If it is the only thing you can do is spray it with Astro or Talstar. If you want to post a pic of it. I can tell you for sure if it is ABB.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You are going to want to do a drench with Imidicloprid. There is a product sold by Bayer that is available at home centers like Home Depot. It is a tree and shrub care insecticide. You mix it up and poor around the trunk of the tree (should be repeated). It is systemic and is taken in by the tree and keeps all boring and foliage eating insects away. Just follow the label. I believe you mix 2 oz. per inch of diameter of the trunk at 4 ft. high. It may only be 1 oz.

4. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

I have sprayed it with Talstar twice in the last 4 weeks. At the high rate. I have never seen bores that left a white substance oozing out.

Does this sound like bores?

Thanks for the info.

5. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

Could be a CANKER wound of some sort...........

6. KC816smith

KC816smith LawnSite Member

Again, it was 8 years ago. Pay attention. I'm sure they've got it figured out by now.

7. Trees Too

Yes....I realize its an OLD thread. The the info is valid for current and future inquiries.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

A single, horizontal cut at the base with a saw probably prevented that tree from having any more problems...

9. Trees Too

Ah yes...."basal pruning". I'm quite familiar with with that concept as well!