1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rogers lawn care, Dec 8, 2005.

1. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

i just started 6 months ago so im new at running my own business.i had a few residential over the summer but now that winter is here everthing has stopped ive sent out faxes,flyers nothing seems to be working what im i doing wrong or im i doing anything right please help.and if anybody is local and knows of any accounts they can send my way please do.thanks.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What are you advertising now(services)? Many people are not thinking about lawn service right now. How did you do over this year? I see that you are new to LawnSite, so welcome.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What are you advertising to do over the winter?
    Not real sure what you are looking for?

And yes--Welcome
  4. rogers lawn care

thanks,and im advetising leaf removel and just cleanups i did ok over the summer but really started to late in the season. thanks again.
  5. rogers lawn care

thanks glad to be here. im looking for any outdoor work. something to keep me busy
  6. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

How are you delivering your flyers? I've found that using them as newspaper inserts is fairly cost effective. It generally pays for itself in immediate work, then you mine those customers for more work later on.

I'm finishing my first season as well, and it's been tough this year, but I see the snowballing effect working. I pick up a customer for a one-time job, then they call me when they need something else done. I also make sure I maintain contact over the winter so they don't forget me. I send out Christmas cards to anyone who did any business with me during the year. In a couple weeks I'm sending out mailings to all my one-time customers with quotes for mowing and fert n squirt programs.

The easiest customer to sell to is your existing base. Don't forget that!

Hope this helps.
  7. rogers lawn care

thanks eruuska for the info.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

We all sit around durring the winter months, some more than others,

this is a great time to trim trees, and plant them.

Here in Texas we allways Push winter rye.

there's also clean up's, light hauling.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Lots of Crape Myrtles around.
    Do you do handy man work?
    Commute an hour and 1/2 we can not keep up here.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I was goin to say plow till i noticed where you were from, so ide agree with one of the above posts, do you do any handy man work?? I think that may be a good money maker. Good luck with it and welcome to LS!!