NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardsmith, Mar 24, 2000.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I got a call this week to bid on a school grounds (shoulda got this posted earlier this week!) that is roughly 15-16 acres of school grounds; K-12 all on one complex, including sports fields that will need mowed twice a week due to fertilizing to keep it nice.<br>I have two prospective estimates; one for how many man hrs. I will have (pretty close on the actual #'s) on it each mow, & another bid for how much if I charged by the acre.<br>Problem comes in that there's about $300-400 difference between the 2 estimates. I used to charge by the acre for big stuff, but now I realize I won't make the hourly labor rate I charge for other jobs. Of course I'd like to go with the hourly figure, but afraid it'll be way higher than the other bids. I don't know if other guys are estimating by acre or by the hour, either. <br>I could make off pretty well by the acre bid, but just not sure. <br>I have to submit bid Friday 3/24 afternoon, so any advice or related stories would greatly help. Thanks guys!<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Yardsmith, easiest way to price a large job<br>is to divide it into smaller areas and work out a price for each then add it up. If you <br>have already done this then I would go for the hourly rate price to be on the safe side.<br>Better to over price than, as we say over here,to do your arse on the job.<br>Good luck<br>Karl

3. Your measurements are a little low. I have a <br>school district contract to maintain the<br>8 athletic fields and that is 15 acres alone.<p>This district has all three schools at one<br>location and the entire grounds are between<br>40 and 50 acres.<p>Do you measure ALL the turf you are to maintain with a wheel. The way I measure <br>big jobs this this to to take a 44 toro<br>walkbehind/set up as a pesticide application vehicle with a stand on sulky to the<br>estimate and steer the mower with one hand<br>while holding on the the wheel with the other.<p>It sure beats walking, faster, and you are<br>likley to impress the facilities manager<br>and others at the school system.<p>

4. yardsmith

from Ohio

thanks for the post, stone. The administrator & head maint. guy had the place fig. at 15 acres, but I think is more like 16-17. There is alot of parking lots, the tracks, infields, & buildings, & gravel playground area in between all the grass.<br> But back to the orig. question, do you bid by acreage or by man hrs. it takes to do the job on larger mowing prospects? Thanks<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

5. Smitty said:<p>&gt;The administrator & head maint. guy had the place fig. at 15 acres, but I think is more like 16-17. <p>You can't take thier word you need to measure every square foot of grass first.<p>If you have athletic fields to maintain expect to mow them every 4-5 days when school<br>is in session. You have to have quaility high horsepower mowers with gator blades to cut the clippings<br>fine or you will have to bag and that's a<br>nightmare. There is a lot more clippings to contend with when your mowing cool season turf down to an 1 1/2&quot;.<p>Who applies the fertilizer to this property?

6. yardsmith

from Ohio

thanks for the info; submitted my bid & will know within 5 days or so- I hope so, cause whoever gets it is gonna have to start by the end of next week! Grass here is just now starting to get to the point where it will need mowed by next week, the unfertilized lawns could wait another week.<br>I placed my bid on the hourly quote to be safe, & it won't break my heart if I don't get it; I have other work to fill it's place if I don't. So I'm 50-50 on my concerns on it. If I do get it, I'll need to buy another pc. of equip. to handle the extra areas to be mowed, so I don't get behind.<br>As far as fertilizer, the scholl maint. crew handles it. IF I get it, then once I get the work load under control ,& have some available time, I'll look into trying to get the fert. acct. too for mo' money!<br>Also, stone, how do you get quotes into your replies? I know how to get them into an email reply on AOL, but haven't fig. it out yet for this forum-Thanx<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

&gt;Also, stone, how do you get quotes into your replies? I know how to get them into an email reply on AOL, but haven't fig. it out yet for this forum-Thanx&gt;<p>Copy and paste.

8. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

WHERE I AM AT YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING WHILE THE CHILDREN ARE IN SCHOOL,INS. REASONS. DOES THIS APPLY TO YOUR STATES?IT MAKES THE TIMING CRUCIAL,SINCE I DON'T WORK SUNDAYS.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>

9. Run DMC wrote:<p>&gt;WHERE I AM AT YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING WHILE THE CHILDREN ARE IN SCHOOL,INS. REASONS. DOES THIS APPLY TO YOUR STATES?<p>That's a crock of sh*t. Are the employees<br>of the school district working on weekdays?<p>If I have a big spray job (all day) I will<br>perform it when on a weekend when school is in session. The only reason I do this is so<br>the enviromental wacko soccer moms don't<br>complain to the administration I am killing<br>the weed and thier babies with my herbicide.<p>Smitty I am just copying and pasting the text. <p>

10. yardsmith

from Ohio

WHERE I AM AT YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING WHILE THE CHILDREN ARE IN SCHOOL,INS. REASONS. <br>The only stipulation they had was not to mow the playground area when kids are on recess (which is 10am to 3pm at elem. school). And the football team may not like you mowing the field while they practice, etc. (duh).<br>Other than that, you'd just atart somewhere else till they're done, & get the schedule so you can work other stuff in betwixt & get it down to a route so to speak. I should know the 1st half of this week.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>