1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bhforty3, Feb 23, 2007.

1. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

How do you avoid turn marks w/back tires of a ztr?
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Avoid turn so sharp (180) that the inside tire of the mover doesn't roll. Take wider turns.

Make 1 or 2 passes around the perimeter of the lawn so that you have space to make your turns at the edge of the lawn when you mowe each pass.

Turn around in a driveway or on pavement if possible.

When making a 180 degree turn go forwards than back then forwards again so the mower's tires don't wreck the turf when rotating.
  3. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your advice.
  4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Some lawns rip up a lot easier than others, especially if they have a grub problem or shallow roots. You have to do gentle 3 point turns. And you need to go slow while circling things like tree and mulch areas. Sometimes I go wide of the circular cutting path required, then I gently adjust and continue. This seems to minimize the rip-up effect with tight turns.

Some lawns have areas that are just too delicate and it's better to use a walk-behind, like with certain hills.
  5. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

Thanks I ill take look @ your web site.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its called a K turn or three point turn....even the best operators can have a bit of turf tear now and then, even if they dont admit it.... especially last year , was really wet all year long...