1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, i found a used exmark lazer z xs, has a kubota diesel, 2004, 60" ultra cut deck, 513 hours, its been used by a home owner for the last season and before that it was used to cut a rest stop along the highway. its in fairly nice shape and hes asking 6,000 for it. Do you guys think i should jump on it? also most of the yards i do are residential and i have 2 commerical most my residential yards are a little smaller then 1 acre do you guys think that this mower will be to big for residential? i also have 2 walk behinds a 36" and a 44 so i could use those on my really small lawns. thanks guys any input you have would be great i'm going to look at the mower this afternoon for the second time. thanks
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

even though it's a diesel that price seems a little high.. other than that it shouldn't be too big and if you do get it, you'll be able to take on larger properties. my latest walker has a gas kubota and it's been great so far... the ultra cut deck on that mower would be nice to have as well.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Would I be correct in guessing that this mower would probably be in the $11K+ range when new? For a machine with 500 hours on it and half the price of new, I'd buy it in 2 seconds. That motor will last 3,000 hours no doubt with a good maintenance program.
  4. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've also found out that the guy will sell for 5500 i'm going over there this after noon to take another look, takeing the check book to:rolleyes:
    any more input would be great though
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was going to say in the 5000-5500 range. if it's liquid cooled be sure to let it run long enough to get up to temp and watch the gauge. also check the condition of the coolant before you start it. belts, hoses, oil leaks etc...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you'll find a 3 year-old diesel for much under that price range, and if it's a wee bit on the high side then good condition makes up for it... It probably is a bit overkill for what you have, but it should get decent fuel consumption and diesels tend to hold their value so long you keep up on the maintenance.

Is just what I'm thinking ...
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with an offer of $5000-$5500 it would be a good deal for you and give you a nice mower to build your business. Kubota deisle engines are bullet proof and will run forever with correct maintnance. I would see how low you can get him on price but as long as its in good condition the above price would be a good deal.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

those are mowers are $13,000 brand new
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I went to Exmark's website and went to the pre-owned section. I found (1) 2006 Lazer Z XS with the 25 HP Kubota and a 60" deck for $11,000 with 300 hours. Surely a couple hundred more hours and 2 years older doesn't equate to a $5,000 difference in price! Snatch that thing up quick!
  10. F.O.S.

F.O.S. LawnSite Member

If everything you say is true I would almost buy this sight unseen. Problem being I am a grasshopper loyalist and wouldn't want to make my mower jealous if she saw my cheeks on a different brand ztr. Now whether or not this mower will be economical for the size of lawns you cut that is a different story... Sounds like a good deal none the less.