Need Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by toroking, Apr 3, 2007.

1. toroking

toroking LawnSite Member

I recently aquired some yard equipment and would like to know what is a good price to start out at for regular lawns , and what number on the fertilizer is a good one for regular lawns, I dont want anything special. Any help would be great I am not looking to be the king of lawn care just a good living. I think it cant be that hard being the fact that I have low overhead.

2. toroking

toroking LawnSite Member

any advice will help I dont know much about fert so please advise me there.

3. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I mean this very respectfully...

Your question is extremely broad. You sound like you are just starting to think about going into business. There is much to learn, even before you start pricing jobs. The best advice is to sit here on this forum for a few hours and search the threads for topics related to your questions. I would recommend searching the following key words:

- business plan
    - licenses and permits
    - commercial equipment
    - starting out

There are tons of posts by folks, much like yourself, that started out. Their posts and comments are worth the time to read.

V/R,

4. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a license to fertilize? Most states require it...........Thats just the beginning.......Do what NELawn Care suggested and good luck

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think this is a bad idea, what someone charges in penn, is gong to be different then texas or anywhere else... different license requirments, different overhead..

YOU need to go out bid some lawns, make some mistakes, loose your butt a time or two, and LEARN what YOU need to charge...

experience, only one way to get it.....

6. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Dave do you have some sort of auto-formatting for that response cuz I've seen it in other threads or do you really just type that same response verbadim each time. Not bustin ur balls....I'm curious

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

every time someone asked what to charge..... and if you really think about it..... its pretty good advise.....

only way to get experience, is to do it.... and the prices given by people here are all over the place.....:)

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

just curious and yes I think you're right, more than right I think it is just realistic advice. I'm sure their will be things in the future that I will ask about as far as pricing but they will be very specific issues that are much easier to answer. I'm quite fortunate as I am subbing for a buddy right now as I start out and not advertising myself so he "holds my hand" so to speak on estimates but when I do get my own clientel, I will just have to try my best and learn from whatever mistakes I make. i think just reading enough on here can really get ya in the ballpark for figures. The toughest part for me is estimating labor. That should come quickly and much easier to me after I have completed my first job this weekend.

9. toroking

toroking LawnSite Member

Why would I need a license to just fertilize, I cant be bothered with that right now. I am unemployed and dont have the money to spend on that kind of bs. I am just a small guy and think no one is worried about that.

10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

oh boy dude!,you are gonna hear it now,have fun