1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by manningslc, Jul 19, 2007.

1. manningslc

manningslc LawnSite Member

Hi i am 17 years old i have been running my lawn care service for 2 years now but this year there seems to be a problem i am losing customers left and right because they say that they cannot afford it and now its not looking good for me i need some advice on how to make money and finish out the season as best i can.

Thanks Justin
  2. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

How many customers have you lost? As long as you are providing quality work, I don't see how all of a sudden you would lose 'x' number of customers. Your best bet will be to go out and find other customers. Start advertising if you haven't already done so. At least try and finish out the season. Are you thinking of ending your business at the end of this year?
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they may be hiring legal legitimate, insured business to do the work.... its not fair, but in todays sue (sp) happy society.... many homeowners now know that hiring uninsured contractors can cost them a bundle if there is an accident, howmowners wont cover it....

try and get as legal as you can, and use that in your advertising.... just my thoughts.. good luck
  4. manningslc

manningslc LawnSite Member

i am legal insured and licensed. is it to late to advertise our mowing season ends around late october early november thanks guys for the posts!!!!
  5. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Never to late to advertise. You never know when someone is looking to ditch their current service, or tired of the heat etc etc. Everyone is still picking up customers, you can too.
  6. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Don't take this the wrong way as it can be directed to all in your age bracket, your still young and have a lot to learn about customer expectation, it would be odd to lose a high percentage of clients because they cannot afford your service any longer. Look a little further at your workmanship and how you operate professionally. I'm sure you have an eagerness to please and do quality work, but sometimes you have to step back and look at things through your clients eyes. Don't believe that everyone with a lawn mower became successful in a short period of time or at all. Your young and have a long way to go, but your also taking on more than the average 17 year old does and that's commendable. good luck.
  7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you recently raise your price for mowing? It is the only thing I can think of that would cause a large number of customers to cancel.
  8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

It might also be what area you live in. Alot of areas in the country that where just hanging on are starting to feel the pinch of the gas prices/minimum wage skyrocketing which is causing groceries and other necessities to climb in price/ along with utilities climbing as well. You are just experiencing what most of the country should be feeling in the next 2 years.

Brace yourselves for it, because no matter how much you want to see the good in things our economy is collapsing.
  9. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

the only reason i can think of for losing alot of accounts is the quality of work. i'm still picking up new accounts. i've found that most customers especially residentials will shop around until they find an LCO who does quality work and then they tend to be lopyal and stay with the same LCO.