Need Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fox Fire, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I need recomendation for a spray gun. I have aquired a skid sprayer at a very reasonable price. It is minus the hose and spray gun. Need advice as to what kind of spray gun and hose to use. I will be spraying fertilizer and weed plus insect control. Any in put would really help.

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll want either 3/8" or 1/2" hose depending on your spray volume per 1,000 or per acre. For up to 2 gal./1,000 3/8" works well and it's a LOT easy to pull and handle. Much over that, like 3-4 gal./1,000 you'll want 1/2" or you'll be forever getting the job done, but it's heavy to handle and pull out. Check prices locally and on the web, as prices vary greatly from dealer to dealer. Check Westheffer, Gregson-clark, Lesco, e-bay, Amazon, or google "green garde hose." As for spray guns, I use Lesco, and there's some on e-bay right now, but do a search of this forum of "spray gun" as there was a discussion a while back of this very topic. I think Teejet/Spraying systems has one that the poster said he was happy with. I only use Lesco's because that's what I cut my teeth on. It was the only option back in the day and old habits are hard to break.

3. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Thanks Marc.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We prefer 1/2 inch hose + TeeJet lawn guns (with the grey nozzles). Keep in mind that I have tried them all. 1978 = ChemLawn gun w/2-lined concentrate canister with extra spray trigger...then ChemLawn discontuned it. In 1990, I started my own business, and I still used ChemLawn lawn guns. Shortly afterwards, I had "carpertonnel" probs. So I switched to TeeJet lawn guns that weighed about 1/3rd the weight..........no prob eversince. Then there is the hose diameter....We tried 3/8, but soon realized that 1/2 is the way to go. Try 3/8 compared to 1/2, and you will know what I'm talking about. My two cents-worth.