Need Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JayD, Oct 4, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey all,
    I have a commercial customer who has some damage to the property. They have three entrances to this property and they had a tractor trailer cut the corner to sharp and took out some landscaping. In this damage, they moved / dragged two large bolders down about 25 - 30'. My question is this. How or what do I use to move them back.
    This is the second time in three months that this has happened. The last time the bolders were pulled out into the street and I just used a 2'' toe strap to pull them back, which it broke into while doing this. But this time, it's up into the turf area. Any good pointers out here to help me out on how or what to use.
    Thanks,
    Jay*trucewhiteflag*

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How large are these boulders??? I'd say rent a skidsteer with forks if you think the machine will handle them, I've moved some really big rocks with a skid steer.

3. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It was suggested to me to wet down the grass and pull them on a tarp. It turns out I didn't have to do it but I think it would work if they aren't to big.

4. JayD

I'd say that they are about 3'x3'x3'
    I have no clue of how much weight they are, but the last time we had four men on it and could not hardly move it.
    But thanks for responding so fast, I will have to do this weekend.

5. JayD

The only problem with this is not enough room to get my truck in there to maneuver, not to mention not making a bigger mess.
    But Thank you for responding.

6. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I think the idea was to pull by hand. It sounds like they must be very heavy. If you could get them on the tarp at least it would be easier to pull with a few guys then carry them.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Get a 10,000 lb + excavator w/ straps or a skid steer w/forks. If you have to damage turf to get to them, so what, its more $. Charge that repair into the price because it is part of the work. If it takes you a 1/2 day to drive there, fix everything back, drive hom......charge enough to cover yourself. Especially if you do not have something else you can do for the rest of the day. All else fails, wash/wax trucks etc.......always something.

8. JayD

Great advise guys,
    I will give it a try.
    This site is so good for all of us.
    It's just so great how you all come on here to help some one out.
    Thank you.:clapping:

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

12oz Filet

Medium, warm center

Baked tater

Green beans

Sweet tea, lots of sugar

10. JayD

You got it.........:drinkup: