1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Dominicano, May 23, 2008.

1. Dominicano

Dominicano LawnSite Member

This year my lawn has developed a weed problem. I've attached a few pics so you can take a look and maybe help me out :dizzy:. The lawn has not been fertilized in a long time and I'm thinking this is why the weeds are over populating the grass. What is the best way to take care of this?? I continue to plug these things out but they keep on coming back.
    Should I spray some sort of Weed B Gone first and fertilize the yard?? Anything would help!

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Classic!!! Trust me; things are really out of control for you as a homeowner. I do not want to belittle your abilities, however your lawn needs more than that Weed Gone useless stuff. Your lawn should have had pre-emergent control applied way back in February for our part of the world. Now you have a big big weed problem that needs a special mix to clear up those weeds. Do this: Call a professional licensed applicator to take care of it for this year. It needs fertilizer really bad. He will help you there. What kind of turf do you have. I think it is centipede. If so let him know or he should know at first sight. Marietta should have some great people. I know of a few that are members here. Good luck and really with that pretty neighborhood you should hire a pro. Else, you'll be on "Desperate Landscape" as a result from your neighbors complaining. Just Kidding.
  3. Dominicano

I hear you RAlmaroad, but I'm sure there is something that I may be able to do for the time being. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds right now to hire any one to come out and treat it. Where are the experts that can give me some more advice for this problem...come on guys..:)..and by the way, I wouldn't mind being on 'Desperate Landscapes':laugh:...they do great work!
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

First closeup weed picture is Fireweed. I am dealing with that right now on a major scale...all lawns that I have pre-emerged. Pre-emergence doesn't work on Fireweed because it germinates in the thatch layer then sends roots into the soil. The pre-emergence is in the soil. The only way to kill it is post emergently with a selective herbicide. As a homeowner, Weed-B-Gone would be the product of choice for you. It would kill this and 98% of the other broadleaf weeds(dandelions,chickweed,etc..) in your lawn if sprayed correctly. You need a sprayer(handcan,backpack) with a fan tip nozzle. If mixed according to label instructions you should be able to make one swipe over the weed and this will kill it. This would not control any grassy weeds, (crabgrass,nutgrass,dallisgrass, etc...) You also need to apply some sort of pre-emerge to prevent more weeds in the future. A crabgrass preventer will work on a wide range of weeds, not just crabgrass. It also needs fertilization and mowing. The best weed prevention is a thick stand of turf, in your case bermuda. Mow it at 1.5-2 inches regularly and feed it every 6-8 weeks. Good Luck
  5. Dominicano

Thanks Ted! I really appreciate your input. These things are driving me crazy!:dizzy:
  6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Definitley need to fert, squirt and seed.
  7. ted putnam

Dominicano, no seeding will be necessary with bermuda. With fertilization,watering and regular mowing, thin areas will fill in. By mowing regularly, you force the bermuda to grow sideways instead of up. The runners will spread and meet each other. Before you know it, thick, green turf.
  8. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

"Unfortunately, I don't have the funds right now to hire any one to come out and treat it. Where are the experts that can give me some more advice for this problem...come on guys."
    I find that hard to believe. It doesn't look like your neighbors are surviving on a paper route and eating at the soup kitchen.
    Our time is money. Would you expect to get free, reliable legal or medical advice from a forum?
    Skip a couple rounds of golf and hire someone with knowledge and ability fix that skanky yard of yours before the neighbors drum you out of the association.
  9. ted putnam

:clapping::laugh: I was kinda thinking the same thing when I saw the pics. Looks like a nice neighborhood. I gave the advice anyway. This guy may have the intestinal fortitude to do it! Most don't if and when they've figured out they've bitten off more than they can chew! Once he starts spraying with a hand sprayer and pushing that spreader around, he'll understand why LCO's charge what they do and he'll probably be glad to pay it and skip the headache. Most people pay more for their cable TV than they would to have a nice lawn!
  10. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Just like every other PITA who insists that their LAST lawn guy drove 60 miles round-trip to mow 3 acres for $25.00.
    If he wants a presentable lawn, he needs to step up and hire a professional.

BRB, I have to go finish this root canal on myself......