need help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burninbill, Mar 6, 2002.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

Need help seeding my yard, bought new house and two sides of the yard are dirt and the grass I do have is terrible(maybe bermuda of some sort). What is the most effective way to keep my yard with grass? Should I sod or seed?
    Thanks,
    Jon Walker

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Is money an issue? If not, I would sod!

MATT

3. burninbill

Money is always an issue however outcome is more important at this point.
    Thanks
    Jon

4. If you want a nice lawn fast, go with sod.

5. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

I moved into a new house last spring. They only gave me vey little sod. I had them place it in the backyard and then I seeded the the front and rest of the back. The seed came in excellent and it looks better than the sod. All my neighbors who paid lots of money for the sod were really pissed when they saw how well the seed came out. What I did was rake the existing soild to remove debris, then I added about an inch or two of topsoil and leveled it out. Ten I seeded, used starter fert and carefully raked the seed in. I made sure I water twice a day till significant growth occurred and then watered as normal. I waited till mid June ( I seeded in April, easter weekend) and I put down Scotts fert , step two. My lawn looked great all summer and still looks pretty good now. I am not a fan of sod and I am really glad I seeded.

Hope this helps.

Carl

6. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with Carl, I'm not a big fan of sod either. I'd say go with seed. Sod will look nice at first but to me doesn't seem to grow quite the root system as seed.

7. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i thought that bermuda was a southern grass .

8. burninbill

not sure if it is bermuda or what it is actually? It is very brown now so i just took a guess. How could I tell what it is for sure?
    Jon Walker

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a Zoysia.