1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dukester, Nov 17, 2002.

1. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

How do you find good help. It's not the right time to hire anybody. But, we've gotten new jobs in the last 2 months. I'm not able to work in flower beds. Heck I don't even want to. And there is too much for my wife to do by herself. I was thinking of hireing someone using contract labor or part time and paying cash. We are kind of in-between being big enough to afford workmens comp. And staying a mom and pop business. Any help making the right step would be welcome. Is anybody out there just paying cash to help. Or, maybe giving them a percentage of the jobs they do?
  2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Had a construction buddy that just paid cash. One day his worker nearly cut a finger off. Buddy paid for hospital visits and doctors and still got sued for 50,000.00 and lost.

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

dukester, I would not advise paying "under the table" and what ever you do make sure you have worker comp. on them.This is why, If he or she gets hurt and sues you look out. You will have to pay for everything- layers, court cost, and the law suit. But if you have workmans comp. you instantly have about 3 or 4 lawyers on your side and they are sueing the workers comp. ins. not you.
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, bad idea to pay under the table - especially if you don't have worker's comp. One injury without workers' comp. and you'll be REALLY sorry you chose that route.

Besides, why would you want to pay under the table? Do you understand that wages are a tax deduction for you? If you pay a guy $1000 one month under the table, that's $1,000 more in income you have to pay taxes on. But if you hire an employee and pay them correctly, you now have a $1000 tax write-off for that month! Why would you want to pass up on that???

To answer your question; there are two places to find good labor in my experience; The newspaper classified section and the Unemployment department. The first will result in a lot more applicants, the second is free. With either option, however, you'll want to do it the right way - that is, get a Federal Tax ID #, and pay the taxes and worker's comp. for them.

If you are charging correctly for their work (e.g. the worker is earning you $25-$40 per hour) than it shouldn't be a problem. You'll have enough $ to cover their wages, taxes, work. comp, etc. and still earn a profit on them.
  5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I use a local personnel service to do all my payroll and hiring employees. It is great if you get too busy to do all your work and only need an employee for the day. All of my guys are Hispanic. Two are from Yucatan and one is from Guatemala. None of them speak good English and it is better that way. The ones from Central Mexico are no nearly as good of workers. Just my opinion though.
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you have alot of little jobs, you could also look thru the college system for part time laborers if theres one close by. Quite often last minute help can be found during breaks to help pick up the slack.

Its also possible that you could find a teacher/professor to help you out as well. An associate I know hires 3 gym teachers for summer help, and they come along with the crews if extra help is needed for FCUs when available.
  7. Yardman124

Yardman124 LawnSite Member
    from FL

Our business just went through the same growth late in the season. We pickup a large account that required workman comp. beacuse of the nature of the property. We tried like crazy to get the needed insurance but the market is bad for small business. They want you to have 5 people that work full time and then you pay out the butt . Go through your local labor finders, you'll be covered and they will do your payroll.
  8. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Are you saying that if you use a "personal service" that they take care of the ins. I just pay them? If that it that would be great. I know I need workmens comp. But, here in LA. ins is so high. I gues because of all the drunks. lol
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We use a company called Paychex. They handle all of the taxes, etc. and make my checks out for me, take the taxes out for me. I just have to have the $ in the bank at the right time. It's great. And the best part is, with 7 employees it only costs me a little over $100 a month.

They can also add workers' comp. very easily too.

They have offices in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, LA, if you are interested. Paychex.com
  10. Actually the reason insurance is so high in the bayou state is because of Jim Brown. And don't think that Eddie did not get his share when the time came to chop up the money. At least Eddie is in the big house now and Brown will be joining him soon. They found out you can run but you can't hide.

Don't take on any account in Mandeville stay in Covington. I am expanding to Mandeville and am using an agressive marketing campaine to under bid the other companies and secure all the accouts from Soult St. over to Hwy 1088 up Hwy 59 and back down dog pound road and then back down 190 ending up at the old prestreesed plant and will follow the lake front over to big branch bayou.