Need help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jul 19, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I really need help for a aeration flier. I have never put out a aeration flier before and need some examples. I did a search and came up with nothing. :( Can someone please post one here or email it to me - my email Thank you so much in advamce for your help. :) :blob3:
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a flier, but I do know this ISN'T the time of the year to aerate. Lawns are stressed enough right now without aerating them. Spring & Fall are best times to do and in conjunction with overeseeding as well.

If you haven't done core aerating before, I strongly suggest you read up on it, the benefits of doing it, how to do it properly, how to price it, and perhaps practice on your own lawn or a relative's before you jump into it.

just my .02
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

very true. The only time that aeration should be done this year is if the lawn has a disease and it's recommended to aerate it for that particular disease. But like rodfather said read up on some info.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

this not being the time of year to aerate.

He did say he wanted to make a flyer.

Create, print, distribute, sell.

All in time for when earating can be done

Go to your equipment supplier. Get a brochure of the aerators they sell, also what ever info gathering you find on the internet and do your own flyer in your own words.

I have several flyers, not specific to aerating. Sorry
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If you go to my aeration page on my website, aeration page , you'll see pretty much what I used last year for an aeration flier. I bought a brand new Ryan this year, and they gave me a profit kit (or 6) that included 50 of their brochures. Very professional, it's what I am going to use this year. You may feel free to steal from my page as much as you want. I totally made it up off the top of my head, and have no problem sharing.

If you email me with your address, I'll send you one of my aeration fliers I got from Ryan in the mail for you to peruse.

And no, it's not time to aerate, but August is not to early to start educating your customers about aeration and what it can do for their yard, especially if you are planning to send a flier with their August statement. And selling aerations for September.
  6. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

For all you guys who do aerating-
    Ive got a tow behind spike aerator- not a core one. Is it OK to spike aerate this time of the year (I only do my own yard) to allow better access for water to get down to the roots? Just curious

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This does nothing but help compact the soil down tighter. Don't do it. Imagine of you are trying to comact something down, to make it fit in a container. Once it's packed down, and you can't fit anymore in, what's a logical thing to do? Slice somthing down into it to help condense the area just below the surface, and then repack the top down again. Well, the same thing happens with "slice" aerators. Other than cutting and pruning some roots, you really aren't achieving anything.
  8. rodfather

Spike Aeratoring = A Waste of Time
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Spiking is fine at anytime.

Greens and Tees are done weekly with a spiker.

LOL. Those that say that aerating of any kind or even spiking is a waste of time, realy should rethink their approach to better lawn care
  10. rodfather

Golf course greens and tees are not the same. Someone is dedicated to them 7 days a week with a strict fertilization and maintenance program. I said that spike aerating was a waste of time (residential lawns anyway) which I know (for a fact) that lawncare3 wants to work on. He and I have spoken many times with each other by way of AIM.

Core aerating on the other hand is extremely beneficial to any lawn provided it is done at the proper time of the year and under the correct conditions. If I thought that aerating was a waste of time, my company wouldn't be doing it 100+ times a year.