Need help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NateSnoMow, Dec 10, 2003.

1. NateSnoMow

NateSnoMow LawnSite Member

we did this landscape job for these people during the summer and we have sent them a bill and they still have not paid but 50 dollars of it. it seems that everytime we go there they either are not there or the man starts yelling at us telling us that we did not get the job finished but the ladie said that we did everything and that it looked good.

what should we do?

2. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

If I were you, I would go to there home and pull up everyone of YOUR plants ( except $50 worth). If they haven't paid for them, then they are still yours. When he calls you bitching just explain to him you will return with the plants when he pays for them.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

You can file a theft of services report with the police department, that usually wakes them up, and opens their wallet.
    You could contact your local police department, and request them to accompany you to their residence, at which time you can ask for payment. If they refuse to pay you with the officer there (doubt it) then you can let the customer know that you are going to file the report, and he can do that right then and there.
    Don't expect much repeat business from these people though!

How much are we talking about here anyways?

Sometimes, it's less hassle for you to just not spend any more of your own time on it, and call it a day.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would call them up, and tell that they have a week to send the money or you will go over there and uninstall (as stated above) $50 worth of plants from the landscaping area. Since technically you still own $50 worth since they haven't paid for it
  5. NateSnoMow

NateSnoMow LawnSite Member

That is true, but you still have to include labor into that so either way you are still losing money. The whole police thing isn't that bad of an idea (if we have to go that far). They still owe something like $100 or around there. It wasn't a very big job, it is just we want the money. Thanks for the help. Any of suggestions? We will see what happens and post back. Thanks.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Do you have a written contract? it will make a big diff. If you don't stay off the property you would be trespassing.

7. idugaholez

idugaholez LawnSite Member

Dont feel bad. I spent most of the summer on a job. It started out as a $36,000.00 job. It ended up being $60,000.00. He has paid me $25,000.00, and now refuses to pay any more. The only thing to do is get a lawyer andgo from there. Police have no jurisdiction, its a civil matter, so dont even bother with that route.

good luck,