Need help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oleo, Apr 2, 2004.

1. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

I have a lazy customer that decided to use a lot of salt on his sidewalks and driveway this past winter and now the grass is in pretty bad shape. The edges of the walk and driveway are almost dead 4 or 5 ft in on both sides.

What do you guys recommend? Will that grass eventually grow back or should I do some seeding/fertilizing. Would like some advice!
  2. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure this will work but some other guys may be able to help you out but, water the heck out of the dead areas that were affected but the salt... this may help to dilute and was away any salt residue and get it out of the turf... Then either rake it up and seed it with fert. or put down a top dressing of loam then seed it.
    That should help bring the lawn back.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If the salt made it to the grass, then it's dead (burned). Salt (sodium chloride) in any quantity has the same effect as over fertilizing with urea (ammonium chloride). If it isn't real bad, you may have luck trying to readjust the ph level. Maybe try some Milorganite and see if that helps. This seems to help in areas that see lots of dog urine.