Need homemade striper for pattern not mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shovelracer, Jun 29, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I want to make a pattern in my lawn for this weekend that will be too laborious for my mowers. I will also be doing this in a few weeks for a good clients party. Both lawns are very ready to accept a good striping and get mower striping weekly. Anyways I need something light enough to carry by hand, but effective enough to lay a good pattern. I can roll it with my lawn roller, but how much weight to stripe, but not compact. I can drag it with a sheet of plywood or chainlink fence. Or I can sweep it with my power broom. Or would be willing to make something using brooms. I dont want to damage the grass or start ripping up thatch, but want to give it a shot. Ive looked into this quite a bit, just cant figure out which will work best for my purpose, without spending more than a few bucks. What would you use?

2. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I dont know from experience but I wonder if one of those shop floor squeegies would work.

3. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

How about a rake used upside down?

4. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

Try a pull behind lawn sweeper.

5. Lil'MowinMan93

Lil'MowinMan93 LawnSite Member

Take a bar of pvc, drill holes about every two inches, then bolt pieces of chain to it. Cheap and its what they use on dixie choppers. You can pull it with your mower or by hand whichever you prefer.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Both brooms and squeegees work. I don't know what kind of pattern(s) you are looking to do, but it sounds as if you are planning on doing some larger area stuff. I know that for some of the finer, more intricate stuff, push brooms (real stiff bristled) and squeeges work well. Home depot sells a push broom/squeegee combo. For larger area, a dragmat wold work well. A cocoa mat is the ultimate thing, but variations can be made. The pvc idea isn't a bad one, but if it is going to be just pulled by hand, you could actually just connect chain at both ends, and have it drag in a short loop. Just use a loop of rope from each end to pull it with. Another idea fora squeegee type is to get a piece of longer, thicker conveyer belt material (available at TSC) and rig it up to a garden rake or landscape rake.

7. Lil'MowinMan93

Lil'MowinMan93 LawnSite Member

i like the squige idea. i used a lawn sweeper too once and it worked as well. good idea with the loop though

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

They are both about an acre, but the patterns wont be that big. I think 4 stiff brooms mounted under a platform with a weight on top should work fine. As long as it is under 80 pounds I should be OK with it. I have rollers on my mowers so those are not needed.