1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need ideas for dog area in customers backyard

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DLAWNS, Mar 17, 2008.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying to figure out my best option for a job for one of my customers. He has two large dogs and they have turned his yard into a dirt pit. He was wondering what the best grass to plant would be that would hold up to the wear and tear of dogs running on it. I told him that I believe that the grass will not stay very nice for very long. I suggested mulching the area. It is under 1000 sq. feet. I figured that would be the best way to keep that area looking nice as well as being the most cost-effective. Has anyone done a job like this or had any experience with their dogs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. CHF

CHF LawnSite Member

Mulch is not the best thing we use p gravel spray the grass to kill it off lay down filter cloth and then 3 to 4 inches of p gravel. That way every thing will still drain.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the response. Anyone else? All the options I can get to give my customer would be great.
  4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How about installing a dog run in a section of the back yard. If one of the dogs is a female it will be very difficult to maintain turf.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking, but its a small area, due to the fact that there is also a pool in the yard, and its not so much the dogs urine as it is the running around they do, which causes it to look like a motocross track. I will mention that as an option, though. Thanks.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First off, 1000 sq ft.; two large dogs,... the guy isn't going to have grass. He is going to have a dog pen. he needs to get use to the idea of having a 31 x 31 are of mulch or dirt...that is if he doesn't concrete it for sanitary purposes. The thing about the "male vs. the female" thing with the urine is a myth. Both sexes have the same amount of acidity within their urine, and on a 1000 sq. ft. area, it isn't going to make any difference.
    In all actuality, anyone with a 30 x 30 area - has no business owning two large dogs, but that is a different subject, altogether.
    Myself, I would suggest a good depth of sand if they have to live there. It is comfortable for them to walk in, rathewr easy to clean up in, and it drains easily.
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, male and female dog urine pH may be the same, but females tend to void their bladders in one spot...or will tend to pee more in one area than a male.
  8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Concrete! I have a Rottweiler and at one time also had a pit bull, Concrete was the best thing ever. You spray it off and bleach it then your done. I have a buddy that breeds American Bulldogs. He has a row of kennels and swears by pea gravel with a layer of cedar chips. Cedar is known to absorb odor.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This is true...no hiking of the rear leg for my kid dog, its all in one spot and I will tell you Roundup may not kill Bermuda in the first spray, but dog urine will!! (Hey maybe I am on to something!!)
  10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats very interesting about the female dog urine being a myth. In no way am I trying to be rude but where did you hear that? Or do you have dogs and just know? Just curious.
    I just wanted to clarify The grass area that I'm talking about is only a small part of their yard. He has a deck in his yard and a concrete area near their pool and a huge front yard that he plays with the dogs in. I did not meant to portray this guy as a bad pet owner. There is plenty of room for the dogs to roam. Plus, they probably get some of the best treatment as he is a cop and is in the canine unit. One of the dogs is his police dog.
    Thanks for all the responses, guys.