Need Ideas for Incorporating a Sauna

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 16, 2010.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I have a prospective client whom has a rectanuglar sauna that they want to incorporate with their outdoor living space.

They would like for it to be sunken into the pavers, with maybe the to 12-inches above the pavement. That part is easy.

However, on both ends of the sauna are access points for servicing the thing.

Anyone here with any experience / knowledge / thoughts on ways to sink a sauna, yet have access to the sides for servicing?

Pics would be of GREAT help!

thanks,

DVS HARDSCAPER

2. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

if you use your brain, back, and patience you can figure it out. I believe that was the good advice you gave me, just doing a favor and giving it back :)

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

wood and hinged/removable decking

4. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

5. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

bluestone? we had a hot tub that was sunken on a project we used poured concrete and put bluestone caps over it. they were hard to remove but served a purpose i guess.

6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's how we used to do sunken spas in Phoenix. Or do you actually mean a sauna, like you said in your first post?

Sunken-Spa-for-Web.jpg

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys!

Yep, I meant spa, not sauna!

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Or you could deck the whole area around it, and use paver/stone around it. I saw this done and it was a nice accent piece in a large area of wet laid blue stone.

9. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

tan tumble pavers look amazing with bluestone. I do alot of that. I like to lay out the bluestone pieces 2x2 on a 45 and lay a course of pavers between rows. the colors play off eaach other very well. the only problem with that is how to set the materials against each other. either a wet laid band or metal edging. basicly lay the pavers in like a permeable but no base sand or joint sand. the metal grids used fr drip edge on decks work very well.