Need ideas for playground construction

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stuttering Stan, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am trying to work up a bid for a 32'x32' box, 4x4's stacked 2 high (about 9" high), then filled with playground mulch around already existing palyground equipment. If I figure right, that's 3,072 sq ft. (I believe 1yd of mulch covers 100 sqft 3"thick). So I need 30 yards/mulch. Along with about 256 ft. of 4x4x12. For all you estimating experts, does this sound right.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

how does 2 x 4" = about 9" high? you need a base course!. you'll need a minimum of 3 rows, 4 ideally.

In CT playground mulch has to be >12" deep and the mulch has to meet specifics for compaction (wheel chair access)

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We've installed playground utilizing PT lumber. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the 4x4 idea and go with the 6x6. A 4x4 will twist, warp, split, etc. and look awful after only two years. The 6x6's (obviously my personal opinion) last much, much longer. Plus sitting two 6x6 on top of one another will give you 11 inches (~5.5" actual). If you sink the bottom one 5 inches that leaves you with 6" above the ground. Place 4" of playground mulch on top of the landscape fabric leaving a 2" height (theoritically of course) to help prevent the mulch from being kicked out by the kids.

As for your question....to make it a minimum of 9" high you will need 4 courses of 4x4's. They measure ~3.5" You will need to sink one and place three on top of that to get 9". If you work with 16 footers you will need two a side....four sides....four courses....32 Qty. 4x4x16. CAUTION....the layout would need to be slighlt less than 32'x32' to have overlap at the corners. So it's probablly better to make it 31'4" x 31'4" to allow for the overlap. Don't know if this is an option. Take out a piece of graph paper and trace...makes life a whole lot easier.

If you are attempting to fill the 'box' leaving ~1" at the top....I'd estimate for 8" deep. So....32x32=1024sq.ft.....8" deep yields ~700 cu.ft.....27cu.ft in a yard gives me....~26 cu.yds of mulch.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I would seriously check out the state and local rules for playground environment before you did anything.

I don't know what your rot situation is on PTE lumber in CT. But here (Florida) for the underground layer, you are looking at 3 maybe 4 years tops.

Depending on the type of mulch you are using will determine coverage. Shredded cypress bark is 110 sq ft at 2 inches. Pine bark is 75 sq ft at 2 inches, cypress chip is 120 sq ft at 2 inches.

If the law requires 12 inches as noted above, then you are looking at 80 yards of pine bark or 51 yards for cypress chip. As far as the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 you will want to go with 10 ft sections and run them to overlap at the corners as well as a 2 foot overlap at each middle joint. Otherwise that stuff is gonna come crashing down the first time someone hits it hard.

Suggestion.

Make the frame and sub the mulch to a blower truck guy. for arguments sake his price per yard $45 charge $47.50 - 50 per yard plus your construction fee and be in and out in a couple of hours.

5. Stuttering Stan

I was quoted $31/yard for "playground mulch". Does one yard of mulch = 100 sqft 3"thick?

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for pointing that out...I forgot about overlapping the boards...whoops

7. BSDeality

a yard should in theory cover 108ft^2 @ 3" thick. When i estimate I use 100ft^2 to run my numbers. better to have a little extra than not quite enough when you're more than 10 min's from a supplier.

8. BSDeality

9. Stuttering Stan

So if my numbers are right, I need to get 50 yards and and 256 ft of wood. What kind of price is needed, I guess about $60/yard and add about 40% ontop of the price of wood. Any suggestions?

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I get $60 per yard for mulch, but my cost on mulch is $30 for the cypress chips (known also as playground mulch).

for the wood (screws, bolts, corner braces etc), you should have some kind of mark up on that 25-50% plus the labor for assembly at your rate ($45-75 per hour).