Need Impact Wrench Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kalyeah, Nov 30, 2004.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Looking to buy an impact wrench and need suggestions. What brand do you have. Cordless, plug in, or air? I'm thinking a cordless would be good for changing blades out in the field if needed. Just wanna see what everyone else is using before I go make a purchase. Thanks in advance.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We use an air impact wrench and that works good for us. We have a Craftsman and it has plenty of torque and havn't found a bolt it wont loosen yet. Its a very good tool but if you want it to be portable then go with a cordless impact wrench. They are very expensive but they aren't any higher than some air wrenches. There are many good brands to look at like DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, and Makita. The best place to go for a cordless wrench is Lowes because they have the best selection with the best price but Home Depot probibly has just as many but I don't know for sure. Good brands of air wrenches are Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll Rand, Chicage Pneumatic, and Northern Industrial to name some. Hope this helps.

3. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

I use the dewalt cordless, their heavy duty model, 18v. I think I paid $299 for it. Great tool. We take it with us so we can use it in the field when needed if someone hits a rock or something and we need to change a blade. I have found that once or twice this year, we had to use an air impact to get a blade off when someone hits a rock and really torques the blade on bad. Other than that, great tool. Plenty of enough power for day to day use, no problem for changing tires.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use the one that came with my compressor, Campbell Hausfeld. I am interested in a cordless also, but not sure if I am willing to spend $250-$300!!!

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto......

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

SNAP-ON rechargeable 1/2 inch impact best money i have ever spent.

7. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

If I am close to an air compressor I prefer our IR 2131A 1/2" drive air wrench with 600ft/pounds of torque reverse and 450 in forward. Away from the air compressor I have an 18v Milwaukee 1/2" drive that I bought new on ebay for $250. Personally I think the Milwaukee is a little better built than the Dewalt's and they carry a five year waranty. I also have an 18v Milwaukee drill and cordless circular saw so the batteries and chargers all interchange.

8. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

I love our Milwaukee best cash I have spent. For an air one I would check out IR

9. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: bought a 18volt milwakee this spring awesome tool, paid $325. northern tool has them on sale for $299.00 may have to get another. tony

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

A very good investment this spring. Made changing a breeze.