Need info on FasTrak mulching/OCDC

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ronfrish, Jun 26, 2004.

1. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

Can someone out there that has the mulching kit installed on a FasTrak answer a few questions for me?

Does cutting with the mulching baffles cause you to cut any slower than you normally would without baffles?

Do the mulching baffles reduce the amount of blow out?

Is there a blow out kit for the FasTrak 20/52? If so, how well does it work? PN and price would help.

Does anyone run doubles (stock bottom/gators on top) with the mulching baffles installed? If so, how well does that perform?

I'm trying to decide whether to install the mulching baffles, or go with the qwikchute and no baffles. That large discharge deflector has got to go! Right now I tie it up most of the time, but put it down when near the road/cars/people.

My main concern is that I do not want to do anything that will significantly slow down the speed at which I can cut. I'm also looking for ways to reduce the clipping size for a better look. I need a way to safely block/deflect the discharge when near cars/people, but that is a small percentage of the time that I cut. The bulk of my cutting can be open discharge, but I do need to close off the discharge in some areas.

Of the options I know about:
    1) mulching kit with baffles and closed/fixed discharge chute
    2) quikchute with no baffles
    which would you recommend?

Also, what blade combination would you recommend to go with this setup?
    a) stock only
    b) gators only
    c) doubles, stock bottom, gators top
    or something else?

Thanks for your input. It will save me a lot of trial and error time.

Regards...Ron

2. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

Last time I checked, Quikchute did not make a product for the Fastrak, I checked for my 18/44 and they said they were looking into it.

Steve

3. shivelyt

shivelyt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I recently purchased Gators and run them on top and stock blades on the bottom. I have a Fastrak 18/44. It seems like I had to slow down a littlw, but it's worth it the way it mulches. The clippings are thrown almost twice the distance.

4. NEWTRACK1

NEWTRACK1 LawnSite Member

Did you use different bolts on the blades , How did you line
    the blades up . Do you think you like the setup enough to leave them on. I have gator blades but want to try the setup that you are using.:)

5. markjenna

markjenna LawnSite Member

I put doubles on my 52/20 and found that they cut pretty good, and I bought bolts 1/4" longer. I then took them off because The quality of cut vs wear on the clutch, motor and spindles didn't seem worth it. My mower cuts great with just gators on and as much as I mower I don't think I need doubles. I don't let the grass get to tall before I want to get back on. I also thought that the doubles scalped more. And for those of you who say spindles won't break, and warranty I just don't want the chance. The mower did use alot more hp to start the blades and seem to me to run slower even with my 20hp, just putting in my two cents. I would like to see some pictures and a cut with the strip kit, before I buy one. Mark
    I guess I just didn't think doubles made that much of a difference.

6. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

I've been told that some folks have been able to make the qwikchute for the Z/Super Z fit the mini-Z and that the mini-Z and FasTrak have the same deck design, so it should work, for the 52" deck anyway. I'm pretty handy and I assume that I can make it work by hook or by crook. But the mulching kit is a much less expensive solution, if it's not going to slow me down too much.

I'd be interested in how people keep the doubled up blades at 90 degrees while tightening the bolt too! I tried it and it ain't an easy task. I gave up for the time being. I read one append that suggested using visegrips to hold the blades at 90 degrees while tightening the bolts, but that doesn't work on the FasTrak. The spindle is just about as large as the blades, so the visegrips are in the way of tightening the bolt.

Thanks...Ron

7. shivelyt

shivelyt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I went to 1 1/2 inch bolts to be on the safe side. I installed them in a cross configuration and tightened them good with no washers between them and have had no problems. I will leave them on permanetly unless it gets real dry. They kick up a lot of dust. That's the only draw back I have seen.

8. rhong

rhong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Here'a an alternative to the qwikchute. Trimmertrap, makes aproduct that does same functions, but my dealer said the cost was $149.00.

It will also work with out without the discharge deflector on.

You can check it out at www.trimmertrap.com. I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried this product and if so what they thought about it.