Need info on leaf vacs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cashcrazy, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Cashcrazy

Cashcrazy LawnSite Member

I am thinking about getting some type of leaf vac. I have always just done small jobs the manual way. I am looking to get some larger leaf clean up work. I have seen the walk behind vacs and that would do what I need to do. Do these really work or am I going to spend more messing with leaf clogs, bag swaps, etc? Any info is appreciated.

2. Tim's Lawn Care LLC.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC. LawnSite Member

What equipment r u currently using to mow?

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on your mowers and you do not need to pickup any leaves.

4. Bill M

Bill M LawnSite Member

I like this Troy built, it shreds the leaves into powder almost. http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_10109_17690_-1

5. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Cashcrazy,

Are you wanting a walk-behind, truckmounted, or towbehind vacuum? How big are the areas you're handling and how many leaves are you talking about? When you're serious about leaf handling/removal we've got commercial grade products that will meet your needs. Let me know when you get a chance.

6. Cashcrazy

I usually mulch when I mow. I am looking for a walk behind Vac. I will be doing residential yards mainly. We havent had rain in a month so the grass isnt growing, but the leaves are collecting. I am looking for a fast way to bag. I am open to all brands.

7. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Cashcrazy,

What size of mower do you have? I ask as the larger the mowers the larger the lots and it gives me a relative guide as to the lots you're dealing with. Our most popular walk behind vacuums are the the KD series however the MV series is becoming more popular due to it's newer technology and top fill bag design.

You can get a demo from a dealer or find a rental store that has one (usually a push KD) and rent it for a day or two. Although it may be an older model, it will definately pay for itself and you can truely see if it fits your needs.

Let me know if when you get a chance.

8. Cashcrazy

Right now I am getting by with a 21" snapper. I have a string of homes with a creek in the back. The yards are seperated on levels so anything to heavy will not work. I plan to get a 32"-36" after winter. I never planned to grow but the money is good so i am going with it. I am wanting to try some leaf work this winter to pick up some homes with good flat yards. I have 4 yards at the time but i am looking to have about 8-10 by spring.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Really? Are you for serious! Here in Canada the leaves are not as big as the ones in the States and you can't mulch them in...lol it would look like crap.

Let me guess, you're a salesman? right, come on... were you the one that sold Florida property, you know the one that's under water...

Sort of kidding, but... :dizzy:

:)

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

The best walk behind vacuums that really work are the little wonder brand.

I bought a Billy goat, a large one and it didn't work.

The little wonder sucks so much you need to turn it down or it'll suck the dirt, gravel etc... and it's cheaper...like under a grand.

:)