Need info on lime application? Is 20lb/1000 too much?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bamaone, May 4, 2005.

1. bamaone

bamaone LawnSite Member

Trugreen did soil test for a customer, they suggest aeration and 20lb/1000 lime. Trugreen does not apply lime or aerate here. The customer asked if I could do it. Total area = 72,000 sq.ft. total lime needed 3000lbs. Just seemed a little high to me. They also asked if I could do the aeration. I do not have aeration equip., what do you need to do an area this size and how would you charge it. Thanks for any input!
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Did you see the soil test? If so, then do what the test recommends. For the aeration I would go rent a pull behind if you have a rider. If not then you are bumming having to use a walkbehind (which also can be found at a rental place) on 72,000.

Does this lady have pine tree's.

I have noticed on here that a good average for aeration is $12-$15 (this is what I charge) per 1,000. for 72,000 I would go $8-10 per 1,000 though.

Since TGCL does not offer this service (which I can't believe) I would charge a p[premium for it.

TGCL pushes Aeration and lime around here like is is the answer to everything. They don't even bother with a soil test. If you are in their service area then you automatically need lime and lots of it. Soil test are only done by request... But who needs one of those when you have a 14 pt lawn analysis from a guy sitting at a desk.
  3. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

I normally charge approximately $12/bag of lime and sub my aeration to a close friend that is also a landscaper.
  4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, I came up with 1440 lbs Lime not 3000.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Correct 1440 not 3000lbs. There is more to raising Ph levels than throwing down lime. Soil conditions will have a lot to do with how fast the lime is used, etc. What type of lime are you using? There is Burned Lime, Dolomitic, Ground, Hydrated, Pelletized. The rates vary from 10 lbs/1000 to 50lbs/1000. The most common is Pelletized Limestone which can be put down at up to 50 lbs/1000, but you are looking at years to raise the Ph if it is way off. Being that TrueGreen "did" the testing, I would want to be sure of the requirements myself and I would re-test to make sure those were the requirements and not just a guess. Research which limes are available as some of them are dangerous and hazardous to use.
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Get a soil analysis from someone else. It would be interesting to see if they match.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

It depends alot on the type of grass, the type of soil that you have and what the pH is. Most of the soil in N GA. is a clay based soil and is on the acidic side- around 5.0 to 5.2. Most of the grasses here grow best at a pH of 5.5 to 7.0. If you apply 50 lbs. of lime per 1000 sf you will raise the pH up a half point. If you are at 5.0 and you need to be at 5.5 the you would add 50 lbs. But the downside to that is that you should not put down more than 50 lbs per 1000 sf at any one application. These rates will be lower for loamy soil - around 35 lbs per 1000 sf - and even lower for sandy soils- 20 lbs per 1000 sf. So you need to see what the pH is, know what type soil composition you have, and know what type grass you are dealing with and what pH that grass grows best at.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tru Brown wouldn't know a proper soil test if it came up and bit 'em in the rear. If you want to know, get a soil test done. I use the phrase "a soil test" and not a "REAL soil test", because I'm willing to bet that all they did was a cheap little PH test. You can do these right out in the field, but they aren't all that accurate. Like I say, get a test done through your cooperative extension, or through Lesco. It is interesting to se all they give you. As far as TG, ask them what a CEC is, and they'll just look at you with a blank stare.