need info on pricing drain ssytem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by loom-gen, Jun 19, 2008.

1. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

when hand digging for four inch corrigated do I charge by the linnear foot or by the hour? what do i charge Either way?

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We pretty much never put corrugated underground; instead, we use 4" hard PVC.

We charge by the foot; somewhere in the $18-$23/ft. range (includes materials and labor.) The per foot price is established by the number of catch basins, the difficulty of the digging, the depth of the trench to achieve the proper grade of the pipes, whether the downspouts will be tied in, where the pipe will end (do we need to bore through curb, cut in to city storm main, etc).

BTW - the reason we use hard PVC as opposed to corrugated is that the corrugated will rot and corrode, whereas the PVC will last...

3. chevydump03

chevydump03 LawnSite Member

For my opinion, which generally isn't worth beans, for hand digging, I would charge by the hour (or blisters) plus material. Unless it's an extremly short run, I would consider renting an excavator (if I didn't have one), then charge by the foot.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

corrugated pipe should not rot if placed in stone and surrounded in stone.

5. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

I have also seen corrugated pipe crushed by roots, and work its way to the surface for no reason. I agree that pvc is better but what the customer wants the customer gets.

6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with that statement so long as you've attempted to educate the customer on the proper way to do the work that's being discussed.