Need info on Toro Proline 44 Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eek, Apr 15, 2001.

1. eek

eek LawnSite Member

i'm intrested in buying one used,i'm a homeowner and want it do my 1/2 acre grass lot! my questions are does it offer a good cut,reliable,are parts available,the owner says it about 3 years old with light use,it has a kohler command 12.5 horse engine with a floating deck,what did they sell for new?
    thanks in advance
    eek

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Toro decks give one of the best cuts. It's a good, solid machine, if you want to know how much a new one costs, call a local dealer in your area.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I personally dont like toros, but it will do a lot better job than getting a craftsman, oir murrey rider, or any homeowner model. a 12.5 seems like a small engine for it though. If all your doing with it is your yard it will probably last forever.

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Ihad owned a 44 Toro for 13 years repowered it with a 14
    vanguard. Sold to homeowner for $600. Would cut better than
    my 48 scag inthe wet. 12.5 kohler should be OK. Parts at any Toro dealer. Don't tension the deck too tight. Also I put weight in the front of the frame, keeps front down.

5. lawncrafts

lawncrafts LawnSite Member

You don't say if the one you are looking at is t-bar or pistol grip, and if belt drive or hydro, but FYI a new Toro belt drive t-bar with 44" floating deck and 15 hp kohler engine will run about 3,300. Toro's have an excellent cut, are very reliable, and if you have a dealer in the area, parts are not a problem. Hope this helps.

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 95 Toro 44" Proline floating deck with a 12.5 Kaw. I have done nothing but change oil, plug and filter as required. Maybe four times adjusted the T-bar.

You cannot get a better cut than these machines. I paid like $2,300 for mine. I would not take less than $1,800 for it right now and it has about 2,000 hours. The paint is just alittle faded from oxidation, but it runs and cuts the same as the day I bought it. I use a sulky on a one acre lot that has several hills and it pulls me around just great!

They last if taken care of and they hold value. Around here they are almost hard to find used yet so many LCO's use them.

You'll mow your 1/2 acre in about 15 minutes and have the levelest smoothest strips in the hood!

Get High lift blades to really get a great strip and cut! And get a sulky if you can and you'll be yard surfin like a pro.