1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need info quick - Yazoo Kees Mid-Max 4818 vs Snapper FastCut XL 4821

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZGuy, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

I have a rebate offer that ends today, I have not dealt with either of the mowers below. Does anyone have opinions on which is the better choice for lite use.

- Snapper Fastcut XL ZT2148 $4500 + Tax
    * 21HP Briggs Vanguard V-Twin
    * Dual pumps and wheel motors
    * 48" Fab deck 7Ga

- Yazoo/Kees MID-MAX 4818 (2004 left over) $4250 + Tax (rebate ends 6/31)
    * 18HP Briggs InTek V-Twin
    * Dual pumps and wheel motors
    * 48" Fab Deck 7Ga

They both appear to be solid machines and the ride on both of them is very good, the YZ is slightly better probably because of bigger rear tires.

2. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

Rebate was extended, but still could use the information. Thoughts on the Yazoo Kees Mid-Max 48" 18HP against the Snapper 48" 21HP would be most welcome.

Thank you
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Well, the shop I deal with sells both brands but, I've never seen the Snapper Z. They do have a boatload of Yazoo and have the one you're interested in for rent.
    I used it today in thick, wet grass and it was a hoss!
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Please invest in the Snapper as the other machine quickly turns into a total basket case pile of crap. The engine is good and strong, but the rest is crap, right down to the paint that won't even stay on the machine.

To correct you, the Snapper deck is all 7 guage with extra reinforcement, whereas the yazoo deck is almost a 10 guage, and apparently very lousy steel as well. A BUNCH of these decks are warped from the factory. Evidently the steel can't even withstand the stresses of the welding and fabrication process without warpage. I've personally owned 2 that did not have straight decks and know of several more people who have the same.

Also, if you will take time to look, you will realize from just what you see that Snapper has a FAR SUPERIOR drive system setup. In fact, their arrangement may eventually prove to be the best available on the market today. Snappers hydro system is totally divided and independent of each other. 2 pumps, 2 wheel motors, 2 separate fluid reservoirs, 2 seperate sets of lines and 2 separate fluid filters. With this system, there is no chance of cross-contamination from one side to the other. What this means is that unlike everyone else, if you have one component go bad, the entire system doesn't become contaminated. Only the one side. Plus there are no conflicts or sharing. In addition there are nice debris shields and a fan cooling system. This system will preform better and last longer.

On the other hand, yazoo's system has NONE of these features and just appears to be on par with the others. But I can tell you from experience that it's not. The wheel motors are tiny. Look at them. You'll notice that you'll find bigger ones on walkbehinds. Plus, I really don't know how they screw things up with the way they run their hydro system and put it together. But it sucks and you can expect problems that are very illusive and eventually result in failures.

But what is worse than all of what I just said is DON'T expect them to honor their warranty and fix your problems. They just DON'T stand behind their product or take care of their customers.
  5. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

Wow Envy, pretty bitter. But with that said I am guessing you might have reason to be. Thank you for the detailed reply, the only thing that confused me a bit was the note about Snapper having seperate everything in the drive system. In looking at the Yazoo it appears to have seperate pumps and wheel motors with a filter between the systems. Also best I can tell with my limited knowledge the Snapper has a single fluid container for the hydro fluid as to the Yazoo. Any additional thoughts you could provide would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your response.