Need information please!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by millenium_123, Nov 9, 2007.

1. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

I have been mowing yards for years and have had my own business since 2003. I only have about 30 customers. Next year I want to really grow and at least double my accounts. I will need to hire help. I also want to get a website going. I need a lot of help with all of this. Especially hiring people, knowing who to hire and how much to pay them. Any other tips of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you said you where not legal...... go to yoru state web site and get legel, you will need to pay workers comp on the employees, match there soc sec, collect there tax dollars and send to the gov......

your not ready for this yet..... your not even a real business.......and i dont think you know how to run a business if your woking as long as you said and didnt know enough to be able to establish a legitimate business....

maybe take some business classes at a community college, or on line....

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

here West of Houston, I pay 10.00 an hour, a little more for a crew leader.

it's best to do a background check on people, you can get accounts to do this for about 25-30.00 a year. a little of nothing....

web sites are ok for larger cities, but it's another advertise expense.

hire someone, and take him out with ya for a few days. Make sure he passes the gas station test....

If u dont know what that is ..... When u go to get gas, if the guy stays in the truck.....he's FIRED..... if he gets out and starts checking the oil in the equiptment....he's a keeper......

with 30 accounts u should be able to keep up very well. if u hire someone and he works out, then hire another person. let them go out togather and you spend your time getting jobs for them to do....

you will need another truck. DONT get a car....... only a truck, get enoulf equiptment to have 2 crews going at all time. get them a cell phone....

when I did this I spent around 35,000.00

it's hard to watch YOUR 35,000.00 go down the road and you hoping they dont screw up....But that's life....

if you do this make sure you have about 20,000.00 in the bank for operating expenses....

YOU WILL NEED IT.....

so there u have it it will cost you about 50,000.00 to start another crew...

do you have it ?

4. millenium_123

Hey Dave Thanks a lot for the input! I have been SUPER busy up till the end of the year with my work and not at all able to get on here. I have been thinking that I am going to wait until I cannot keep up with the yards before I hire someone. That way I can save up some money too.

5. cuzyn

cuzyn LawnSite Member

i am starting a lawn care business within 2 months and my question is where can i find a reputable leasing co who will lease out equipment to a new business? I am located in Michigan. someone please advise and also i see most companies on here as an LLC and I can understand the limited liability but what about putting those capital assets away and operating as an LLC but your holding co as an S_Chapter?

6. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have 30 accounts and work a fulltime 40hr/week job, you should be able to keep up for quite a while if Mowing is all you do

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Hey cuz!
    You might want to start a new thread with your question. You will probably get more responses.
    Also, you hi-jacked the original posters thread with this post. I know you are new here, so I am just letting you know. Good luck to you and welcome to Lawnsite.

8. millenium_123

I also have another part-time job working 15-20 hrs a week, so yeah, I should be good for a while.

9. cuzyn

cuzyn LawnSite Member

just posted a new thread thx Gritz....good looking out!!