Need input from Florida LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sniggly, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    St. Augustine Lawn here. This photo is a full view of the area in question (about 10 x 10ft). A close up will be posted after this.

Anyway.....I am not able to get the turf to creep into this area (3 months watching and waiting). It's frustrating me because I have tried everything I know of. So far, over the 3 months period, I have....
    1.) Treated area with pelletized lime.
    2.) Applied 1 inch of Black Kow to cover roots of existing turf.
    3.) Treated 3 times with root hormone (tank sprayer).
    4.) 2 fert apps. (no weed control agents at all). Lesco.
    5.) Verified customer's irrigation coverage and schedule.
    6.) No compaction under topsoil.

There were two other areas in the yard that responded very well and filled in nicely.

full view.jpg
  2. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

As you can see......It's just not filling in. Lots of soil exposure here.

close up.jpg
  3. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

That picture is terrible......I'll try and make it better but don't count on it.
  4. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Have you checked for grubs and chinch bugs? Can't really tell the extent of the damage. It should be filling in thats for shaw.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

...or mole crickets.

So you see any little piles of sand/dirt, sometimes in little rows?
  6. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Your mentioning mole crickets jogs my memory. The last fert app I did was a bag of 26-2-11 with Talstar. Don't think it's mole crickets. There are no little tunnels and such.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I would not worry about the mole crickets too much in that type of turf. They cause very little damage and prefer bahia.

Now for the problem. Looks like you have thrown everything at this but the itchen sink. Now for the kitchen sink, try a fungicide.

Not looking directly at it is difficult. However, seems like you got the bug thing deader than Elvis. So check for the other. Chances are it may be a fungus among us.

8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member
    Posts: 190 I have gotten on my knees and stared at that ground. It seems way to dry to have any kind of fungus.....but what the you said......'kitchen sink'.

If I can't get some noticeable change by the second week of October I am going to recommend a re-sod to the customer with a dig out and replace of about 3 inches of soil.
  9. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Had to play with it for a while but here is a much better photo....

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Nelbuts, last year I had a break out of mole crickets in a lot of my properties. All of my accounts are St. Aug and centipede.

Looking at the last photo, I see it is not crickets, but just wanted you to know my experiences with crickets in St. Aug. It was a major problem, but easliy cured.