Need input on new possible names:

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TXNSLighting, Feb 24, 2010.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Heres what ive narrowed it down to. Bourdon Illuminations, or Bourdon Outdoor Lighting. Lets hear some opinions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

i think illuminations is less restrictive and sounds better, more like an artist.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I think that using your own name in the business name is a very good long term idea. I wish I had done so way back when.

I would recommend you use something that does not pigeon hole you to one sub category. For instance, using "outdoor illuminations" is fine, if you only ever intend to do outdoor lighting. If you think that there is any chance of you going in any other directions in the lighting industry, then I would not pin it down so tightly.

Also, try to pick a name that is easily and instantly recognizable. You dont want to have to make people think about what it is you do! "illuminations" is just vague enough that you might end up spending time and energy communicating what it is you do to the public.

Fun isn't it?

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree that illuminations would be a better fit and I also like the idea of using your name. Good luck with this Ryan, you are in a very good market up there in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Thanks for the input so far. Im pretty sure its going to be Bourdon Illumination. Underneath it will be "Creative lighting solutions" Tommys been a huge help through this. I definitely want to credit him here. Im excited to see what this season brings!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Tommy I think you should go into consulting work. Skip lighting. Or let it be your therapy.

James I disagree with you on the name thing. I tired my best to stay away from that. I look at like you did not put any thought in your business name. But that is my .02

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

What specifically do you disagree with? Using a surname? not pigeon holing your operations with a restrictive description? Or not being plain and descriptive about the type of service you offer?

8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah I forgot that part. The user name part. I might think like that cause I have a funky last name. But the company I work for now uses there last name, they have been around for 60yrs.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I could only see it being a disadvantage if you go to either sell your business or franchise....

Funny thing, I got the idea to use the "plus" in my url (as in www.sprinklersplus.com) from an old high school buddy of mine who has a service and parts business for vintage Fiats and other arcane European cars and called it Fiat Plus. (www.fiatplus.com)

At the same time, without either of us discussing it, he changed his business name to include his own name (C. Obert and Co.) kind of similar to the way I originally did mine (G. Catanese Landscape Services)

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

That being said...I know a couple of guys, the Islander Brothers; Michael & Kevin, who years ago bought a company named Stewart Jackson Sprinklers... Seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

Ahhh the age old question: "What's in a name?" :drinkup: