1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need INPUT on ZTR mower: DC LT2000-50 vs. GrassH 721D vs. Dixon 2300 ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carol, Apr 25, 2004.

1. carol

carol LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Folks, I currently have a Craftsmans 42" rider and am looking to replace this "long in tooth" with a ZTR mower. I have narrowed the field to the three listed above, all used and the $ is right. I would like some feedback from you. Specs: 5-6 acres, flat with some small rolling (bumps) hills. Typical central Indiana topography. Residence only. Thanks in advance for your assistance! --Carol
  2. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

If these are your only choices go with the Dixon..

They have good dealer, parts and factory support.
  3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the Dixie. I have the same model and it is aw-some.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i have a grasshopper and i love mine but it all depends on dealer support and what kind of features u need the frontmount hopper has alot of attachments for it... its just something to think about... grasshoppers run alot more then dixon to
  5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would prefer the G'Hopper, especially since it's diesel. However, as a homeowner, if you're not familiar with diesel, you may want to consider something else. It will burn less fuel, the motor will last longer, and it's cheaper to maintain. However, diesel's have their peculiarities that a lot of people don't like - such as smell, etc. I'm not a fan of Dixie's, but then I don't have much experience with them. I'd personally avoid the Dixon. There are a ton of other mowers out there for you to investigate also. You might want to try these mowers, and any others you might be interested in, preferably on your property if possible, to see which you like the best. Any of them will most likely serve you well.

6. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I've owned a couple of Dixons - still use a 5601 (60" hydro), had it for several years. The hydro drive units, in my experience, are pretty stout, mine has held up fine in 400 hours of use.

DC is very nice, I really looked at one, tried it out, loved it, but my yard is rather hilly and the DC just didn't like that. Man, that sucker would move.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

if those are your only choices,i'd go w/ the dixie
  8. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I owned the grasshopper. It covered me with grass every time I cut the lawn. I am not in the business but have about three acres to maintain. I like to coffee and cocktail as I mow, only thing I could consume with the grasshopper was grass. Had to make certain your mouth was not open when mowing:D

Personally, I like the Chopper. But there are scores of units available today. If you buy a commercial for a residential lawn you will only buy one. The nice part about the hopper was the ability to trim under things without eating branches.

I am currently in the market for a walk behind for trimming. My Lawn Boy is a 1977 model and very tired. Takes me too long with that 21" deck. Tried a Gravely belt drive, built like a tank but it travels too fast in low gear to trim around all the trees I have. I was slipping the belts to do it and figured that was no good. Waiting now for the demo on the Great Dane Super Surfer. A bit of overkill but if my mom needs her lawn done I can drive it into my pickup bed and knock her lawn off too.

My primary machine is a Kubota with a 72" deck. That off road diesel fuel is easier on the wallet and the loader makes working around the farmette easier on the back.

Good Luck.