need input!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by burntfescue, Jul 28, 2006.

1. burntfescue

burntfescue LawnSite Member
    from athens

I have been working as an Industrial Electrician for five years. I have decided to go back and get my degree in either Landscaping Management, turfgrass or Landscape Architecture at UGA.

I would really appreciate some feedback such as:

Career outlook
    Annual expected income

Really any feedback would be appreciated. I am tired of working for the man and I am ready to hit the books again.

Oh yeah what an awesome website!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Expect to do hard, seasonal work. The labor is roughly equivalent to a heavy class inside Light Industrial, like someone who has to lift 20-50 pounds all day long, that kind of effort... It's not as bad as farming or tree work, but it is hard work.

Money wise I am sure you'll hear wide ranges, I'm in my fifth year and last year's total deposits were 31k (ok, 30,996 exactly) and I'm expecting this year to be closer to 34k. I am frugal thou, living on a shoestring. The income is largely dependent on the weather and the seasons, so it has its ups and downs for sure.

3. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

4. burntfescue

from athens

for the input. It appears after doing some research that after another two-three years of college I will probably make less than I already do. I think in the long run it will be better. Pay checks dont always equal job satsifaction.

Again any help would be great.

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

6. burntfescue

from athens

whats a record?

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I know the answer to that one.:laugh:

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It will be easy to get out and earn around 35- 40K or so and that is working for someone meaning that that is true income.
    Landscape Architecture I believe is the way to the best career options.
    As far as back breaking labor (as Toppi states) The education will put you above the gunt work or at least get you out of it fast.
    Good luck

9. burntfescue

from athens

I'm dumbfounded please enlighten me???

10. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

those numbers i think are when you work for someone like post properties or the government.

you're tired of working for the man and plan to do it for yourself, right, using the degree for concrete knowledge where others wing it, selling yourself as someone very serious, applying the knowledge to make a difference, and not just using the paper and associated knowledge gained to just get hired with your abilities limited by what the man wants you to do and not to do?

meet the market with something they want, affordable high quality landscape design, installation, and maintenance.

Better yet, get the degree and get hired by Post Properties so the rest of us have less competition. I've been educated enough to know when not to take the educated seriously and when to take them seriously.