Need input!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 23, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok, i got this '89 Toro rear engine rider. It cuts and drives and stripes fantastic, but I was thinkin about putting caster wheels on front and individual rear brakes on it, zero turn or very close to it anyhow. Questions:
    Would this work ?
    If so, would it work good?
    Would it track straight or would it go curvy all over because of the differential, and no steer wheels?
    Would it go across a hill straight? Because of the differential and no steer wheels? Why not? Walk behinds have this same setup don't they? Don't they go on slopes?
    And any ideas or problems you have or see with this, let me know. It's just a concept thing, not sure if i will actually do it but it seems like a fun idea.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about mowers, but I have a feeling the idea may not work out as planned: I believe the weight distribution on a true ZTR or walk-behind mower would be different from the tractor, also would turf damage be an issue if you locked up the one wheel to make a tight turn?

Realistically, you're probably best off using your tractor the way it is since it already sounds like it does a good job, however IF the conversion can be done fairly easily (and without a ton of $$$) and could be converted back to "original" if it doesn't work out, perhaps give it a try and see how it goes?
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Tracking would be a nightmare. These mowers usually have an "open" rear in them meaning that in any given situation the wheel with the least amount of traction get the power and in situations where traction is equal the right wheel gets all of the power. Since most situations would be "traction equal" then your mower would probably always want to push to the left side.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

OK that's what I was wondering. I'm [hopefully] getting a eXmark Metro 36" or so this summer so it's not a big deal, i was just looking for a project :D :rolleyes:
    How do walk behinds do it then? do they have some sort of diff. lock that disengages when you squeeze the brake lever?
    Eric :blob4:
  6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Belt driven mowers work because the belt going from the transmission spindle to the wheel acts like a clutch. When the brake is engaged the idler pully that keeps tension on the belt is relaxed so the transmission puly will just spin on the loose belt.
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

How would dragging 1 wheel make it a Z ? It will turn on a dime, but isn't a Z a Z because 1 wheel will go fwd and the other backward ? My belt drive will lock up 1 wheel and turn right around.......but I don't think that makes it a Zero just means it has brakes that work.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Scott - "oh i get it"... WB's have no differential and have pulleys on the end of each axle and then belt to the wheel, with a idler clutch. And brakes right? OK... Makes sense. Thanks. I usually understand something if it's in my comprehension level as long as it's worded just right ;) :p :rolleyes: :cool:

Jeffyr -
    A zero turn means the mower deck can go around a super thin line right? Does not matter if one goes forward and the other backward, as long as it turns 360's at the deck. That is how i see it and since i won't be mowing around anything less than a 4" flagpole or whatever, it does not make a difference if i can turn tighter than that because it won't be necessary.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Zero turn means it turns within itself. 1 wheel must go backwards and one forwards to get the zero turn.