Need Landscape Design (Gary Alan Style)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JLH, Jun 12, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I need some information if someone can please help me. I live in the southern part of North Carolina, and I need a complete landscape design.

At one time in the past there was a program aired twice weekly on HGTV called Designers Landscape with Gary Alan from Florida.

I liked his design style with the flowing curves and beds better than anything I've seen anywhere.

Does anyone know of a landscape designer in North Carolina that is familiar with and follows Gary Alan's design process that would be able to design a similiar style for me?

I've looked at the work of many landscapers in my area and have never seen anything that is even remotely close.

I frequently drive into many new areas with high dollor homes and I never see a yard that has the curb appeal and the appearance that Mr. Alan displayed in his designs.

I need complete hardscape and softscape design and application.

Thanks

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You are kidding?

3. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

gary allan was alright. he used too many rows of plants instead of groupings/clusters. however, he was good at bed placements with curving lines etc.

the best show of tv is ground breakers on saturday and sunday mornings. check it out. u might get some ideas from there.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

If you want a Gary Allen design, make long smooth curves, and plant LOTS of aztek grass. lol

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gary Alan has no imagination,his jobs look all the same but just different houses.He has no clue how to use plants and uses the same ones every landscape he does.He bores me to tears and has no style and is a geek bigtime.If you want a flowing bed,just go outside and drag your hose around tell you get an outline you like.Gary Alan..... geeeeze

6. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

It is obvious from the above replies that Gary Alan and his landscape design does not satisfy everyone's taste. I think that's great, because if we were all alike then everyone would have the same yard, which would be kinda boring.

Some of you may have more experience than Mr. Alan, and therefore have a broader perspective in Landscape design.

Nevertheless, I don't apologize for what I find appealing to me.

My original question was:
    Does anyone know of a landscape designer in North Carolina that is familiar with and follows Gary Alan's design process that would be able to design a similiar style for me?

If anyone could answer my original question it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7. ElephantNest

from La.

Sorry, didn't mean to not answer you. Yes, I can answer the question.

No, I do not.

But it seems to me like many landscapers in the area could likely do what you want if you show him some tapes of Gary's work. Point out what you like about certain aspects of it, and what you would like done for yourself. Record a few of his shows, or look for some used VHS tapes, or contact HGTV for the chance of buying the episodes directly from them.

Nest

8. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

Elephantnest,

At one time I had taped lots of the episodes, but the tapes got erased. I called Gary Alan's office and asked about buying copies of the episodes and they wanted $25.00 per 30 minute episode which was more than I was willing to pay.

I will contact HGTV and see if they still have the episodes available and if they can be purchased at a reasonable price.

The program is no longer aired on HGTV.

I'm surprised someone in N.C. is not familiar with the program.

Thanks for your suggestion.

9. ElephantNest

from La.

No problem, also, try his site, maybe there are enough pictures for you to get some ideas to present to local LCO's.

http://www.garyalan.com/

Looks like a great site, he has landscape plan books on sale for $19.99, and also offers advice and tips.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a pair of khaki shorts and some clean tennis shoes and tear your transplants out with a digging shovel with a tiny ball. He is the last guy I would have transplant a plant.

I remember one episode where he hacked out a big plant that was to be the focal point of the design. It was painfully obvious the tree would not make it. They showed everything around the tree, but the tree at the end of the show.