1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need leaf removal system, any advice??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anothertractor, Jun 7, 2005.

1. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I am in search of a set up to remove leaves. I have a back pack blower and a 757 JD with 60 inch deck. I can blow the leaves but I really canot remove them from the property. I want to buy something that is going to be easy on the wallet but will suit my needs. I want to get some advice from you all. I have looked at some of the units that Trac- Vac offers. I like the tow behind unit but I do not think that I can dump it on my trailer and fill it again while on the property. They offer a unit that holds (2) 44 gallon Rubbermaid containers ($1840). I think that after I fill these, I could dump them in the truck and dispose of the shreaded leaves. This offers a 16 bushel capacity. They also offer one that holds only 1 can, and 8 bushels for ($1363). I am also considering a unit by Bear Cat (model 75360)($1200). It is a self propelled unit that covers 27 inches and holds 6 bushels. I wold also want to get a tube that I can use to reach into beds, etc, to remove the leaves. If anyone has any input on these or other products that might suit me better, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

2. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Like Orangebird said......"Cyclone Rake'". I've got one and would like to have a second.

Jim

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

An idea to consider is running doubles, side discharging, make two passes to grind up the leaves, then collect on the third pass. You will end up collecting a fraction of the leaves because most have been pulverized to dust.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

You beat me to it Marko....... Then all you have to buy is a regular bagger for your mower. I bought an Accellerator bagger for my Stander and typically only haul away 1/10 the volume of leaves that I would it a tried to bag the first pass.
    Derek

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I do the same as the guys above. I use the jumbo sized Accelerator aluminum catcher on my 60 inch Lazer. I grind the leaves up first, then bag them.

Very, very simple unit to use - on and off in a second. No motors, no belts. Also meets your other criteria of light(er) on the wallet.

The results form the Lazer/Accelerator setup are nothing but amazing. Picks up everything.

They are sponsors here and have a link at the top of the Lawnsite homepage.

Deej

7. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I just checked on the price of the JD bagger and it is $1470 for 8 buschels and $1850 for a 14 bushel model. Do you think that it is any better than the Cyclone. The Cyclone appears to be a little less expensive.

8. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

If you have the money, the ultimate leaf removal is 2 Walker mowers and a large Dump n Go on an International.