Need license for installs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Feb 2, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I have a business license and carry insurance but do I need a license to do any kind of installs or to at least get wholesale prices on things? I'm not a landscape contrator or anything but for mulch, rock, and trees that people want to have put in and I would like to do them and make a profit. How can I get one and where?
    Thanks

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

It varies from state to state. I do not have to have any license for installs or to get wholesale prices on supplies.
    The only license i had to have was my pesticide license.

3. precisioncut

Ok how did you find that out? Where might I go in my state to find out if I need one?

4. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Call the Utah contractors licensing division at 1-801-530-6375 they should be able to clarify what the licensing requirements are in Utah. Good Luck ! I hope it is easier than Oregon

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

In NJ, you have to purchase a plant dealer's license to plant flowers, shrubs and/or trees - once they get a hold of you!

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Precisioncut,

I inquired on this subject this past year from the Utah State of Professional Licensing division.

The verdict was, any one particular job cannot exceed $1,500.
    If the amount exceeds $1,500 per job you need to have a landscaping license.

In order to become licensed as a landscaper in the state of Utah you need to work under someone for 2 years that is currently licensed.

So just keep it under 1.5 K and you'll be fine to do business without the license.

I'm not sure about getting the wholesale prices. I would think that as long as you can show your licensed to do business you should be able to buy at a discount but I'm not completely sure on that. Check with your local nursery.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

In most states, a Nursery Dealer License is required to sell plants at retail or wholesale. This is how the distribution of plants is monitored. All registered nurseries and dealers will be notified of disease or insect problems moving into or out of an area or a state.

And my Nursery Dealer License is accepted for wholesale pricing by other nurseries and dealers in my state and all adjoining states.

8. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Check with your states department of agriculture.
    In Louisiana we have to take a test to become a landscape contractor.

9. precisioncut

Thanks for the comments.
    I don't think that I would need a Nursery Dealers license to buy the products at a reduced rate. Thats what I want, to purchase the product at wholesale prices to install on someones yard. The nursery that I purchase the products from would need to have it.