Need LIGHT weight backpack blower (25cc) for my wife (home use only)...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JAY95gt, Sep 16, 2005.

1. JAY95gt

JAY95gt LawnSite Member

First post :waving: I just found this forum the other day and have been reading alot - tons of great info.

We are in need of a new GAS blower and I'd really like to go to a backpack. My wife likes to help out and she will be using it too. Her arms tires quickly with a heavy blower, hence the reason for a backpack.

From reading on here, I know what *I* would want, but I strapped a Husky 145BT on her at Lowe's and it was too heavy for her. That's 21 pounds, so I think I am going to have to look at the "smaller" models. The 125BT was a no problem weight for her at 13 pounds.

Questions are:

1) Will the smaller units work good for light debris like leaves, grass, etc. (Again, just household use - not commercial)

2) Any recommendations on models? Most of the reviews on this site are for the larger heavier ones.

The three I have found llocally ay Lowe's/Hoeme Depot and at dealers are

Ryobi RY08570 - $199, 420-620 cfm, 180 mph
    Husquvarna 125 BT - $200, 310-385 or 490 cfm, 116-150mph
    Echo PB260L - $230, 375-427 cfm, 155 mph

cfm ranges are housing vs. pipe ratings (I've found different ones on the Husky though). Obviously different test methods make a difference, but at least it's something.

From the specs, the Ryobi looks quite good. It also had a nice pull start - even easier than the Huskys - and was more comfortable. Unfortunately, I have found NOTHING on the web as to ratings on this unit. Seems like quite a good deal and even meets the phase 1 CA air standards. I'm leaning that way, but have no info to go on about them. I also thought Ryobi was marginal tools especially compared to husky and Echo, but maybe not in this market???

Any input? Unfortunately, Lowes adn HD don't accept returns after they've been run (to my understanding) and my local dealers only have echo for the smaller units.

Any input is appreciated.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go to the dealer and get the echo. They make a nice BP blower. The dealer will run the blower before you take it home. You may need service someday and thats when you will appreciate the dealer.

John

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with John on this. For 30 bux if you ever have a problem then it will be worth it to have dealer support. Things seem to happen to blowers and trimmers more when they are used 1 time a week instead of every day use.

4. JAY95gt

JAY95gt LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to try one more dealer tomorrow and see if they have any I can demo. I imagine for leaves and grass clippings any of them will probably do.

I am highly mechanical (have a 9 second 1/4 mile drag car) but small engines are a bit trickier. :D lol.

The specs on the Ryobi seem to be much better than the Echo, but I figure Echo likely has a much better parts/service network. True? At least it seems that way around here so far.

grass_cuttin_fool - love your sig, BTW.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Of the three you mentioned I'd go to a dealer and get the Echo. Don't buy it at Home despot.

6. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I agree with this line of thought, and will add that the best maintenance program is to use fresh fuel (no more than a month old) with a high quaility oil (echo or stihl). This will keep it running trouble free for years to come. Joe

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep get the Echo from the dealer They will prep it for you and make sure all your carburation is right. They are also better prepared to answer any questions than the kid that works aisle 12.