1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Major Help With My Decision..what Should I Do

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KcLawnServices, Jan 20, 2006.

1. KcLawnServices

KcLawnServices LawnSite Member

Ok I Have A Chance To Get A Job Working With The City Starting Out About $11.00 An Hour...i Am Getting Married This Oct And Started Thinking About Good Health Ins And A Retirement..we Are Also Buying A House This Spring And Was Alittle Concerned About The Guaranteed Income...i Thought About Going To The City And Keeping About 10 Yards As A Part Time Job...i Have 32 Accounts And I Average $39.68 A Yard..that Comes Out To Be About $1270.00 A Week..i Just Dont Know What I Should Do...i Love What I Am Doing And I Really Like Geeting Up And Going To Work..i Have Shirts With The Buz Name On It ..i Have All Commercial Products...my Question Is To You Guys Is What Can I Make More Doing? Should I Stay In This And Try To Pick Up Alot More Yards And Pay For My Own Health Ins And Retirment?any Info Would Be Really Appreciated...thanks
  2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

City jobs can have great benefits. If you stick with it eventually you will make descent money with all the benefits, insurance.retirement, etc. I would take the city job and continue doing the yards that are the best customer/make the most profit/are not pita. Filter out some of the yards that arent big time money makers. Maybe just make enough for 1 full day of mowing that way you could do it after work and one weekends.
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Work for the city and have the part time work. My brother is a budget analist# 2 and makes 43 thousand a year in Norfolk Va. He gets a five percent raise every year.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Thats a tough call. There are advantages and disadvantages. More than likely you can advance to a nice cushy position over time there. You will have insurance and retirement and so forth and so on. However, when you have little seniority and they cut back you're screwed. If you are your own boss you call call the shots and can do whatever you like. Do you really want the stability or would you rather be in control of your life. One thing that really stands out is that you said you love what you do now so why wreck it? You have to do what is right for yourself and your family but you may do more harm than good to your own morale by working there. Lots of tradeoffs and only you know the right answer. Good luck to you.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do both for as long as you can.And if you can't..well sometimes we have to make sacrifices
    of what we want to do and love to do..for security and the future.
  6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

You do what you enjoy. I enjoy getting out and cutting grass and I know that in the long run I can make a lot more running my lawn care business than anything else.
  7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

yeh same here. I am leaving a job that pays 14 per hour plus all the benefits, ins.,etc. (city job) to do my lco full time. Last year I made 31k with my full time job and 60k with my lco. This year hope to hit six figure running my own biz. I love the lco work and being my own boss.

It is a tough call, because I know where you are coming from. I was there a few years ago (stay at home mom, with 3 kids) as I am the only money maker in the family. I stuck it out and made over 90k last year with both jobs. I do wish that I had quit the full time job last year though. I have always wanted to run my own company and realy work it. My dad and mom are self employed, and have been for 40+ years, my uncle, sister, couzins all self employed, so as you can see it runs in my blood.

You will always have more of an opportunity to make a better living working for your self. (imho)

Good Luck!
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

The only major problem I see are owners who aren't disciplined enough to put back money for those benefits. They end up spending all they make on their lifestyle thus ultimately end up "working for the man." If you have good common sense then by all means go for your business. If you have any doubts work for the city and dabble in lawn care.
  9. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no doubt that you can make much more, and probably enjoy your work much more by working for yourself. However, in order to be successful it will take a ton of work, as well as a ton of scrafice - at least in the beginning. The city offers little or no risk, is easier, and will pay off much more in the short term. Are you willing to scrafice in the short term? If so, you need to develop a very specific plan. You need to determine your costs and set a budget. You need to plan on how and when/where you're going to grow. This plan needs to be realistic and focused. You should set aside money from every job to grow the business, and replace equipment as it wears out. It's a lot of work to be successful. If you're not willing, or not in a position to do that right now, then take the city job. You can keep a few of your better lawns to work on part time, study the business, grow your accounts, save some money and then in 5 years make another attempt at your own business.
    One other thing to consider, this decision isn't entirely up to you now. You're making a commitment to a women to be her husband. As such you need to consult with her and receive her input. While all the rest of us can give you advice, the decision when it comes down to it, has to be made by you and your future wife.
  10. KcLawnServices

KcLawnServices LawnSite Member

Randy J..
    I Have Talked To Her About It..she Wants Me To Do What Ever I Think Will Be Best For Us In The Future..like I Said I Have 32 Accounts Now, If I Pick Up 18 More That Would Make Me 50 Accounts...at 50 That Would Jump My Pay Up Alot, ANd make Some What
    Of A Difference At The End Of The Year..TO THE PEOPLE THAT DO THIS FULL TIME, what kind of Health Ins do you have,?/retirement ,Do You Still Pay In To Social Security?...thanks Everybody For You Input..