Need mechanic's opinion on mower....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Signature Services, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

In the catagory of 36"-48" Zero turning radius mowers (Walkers, Toro, Bunton/Bobcat), which all have some type of grass handling system. Which one is most valuable to stay running and out of the shop. What owner-maint. should I perform?
    I would like a walker since I see everyone with them giving me the impression they never die.

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

What dealers do you have close to get parts?? I haven't seen a mower yet that will not break down at some point in time. We run walkers and have had good luck. Need to be able to get parts when you need them.
    As far as maintenance, regular oil changes and grease jobs along with keeping air filter clean will help. Read your owners manual, it will help.

3. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

An important thing to keep in mind when looking for a new mower is ease of maintenance. Does it have enough grease fittings? Are they easy to get to? how hard is it going to be to change the oil? How easy is it to change the blades? The easier it is to perform routine maintenance on it, the more likely it is that it will get done. I have noticed that some of the newer mowers(Yazoo/Kees, and Toro) do not have any grease fittings on the blade spindles. Although the manufacturer warranties them for 2-3 years, 1:it creates downtime when you have to get them replaced, and 2: what are you going to do when the warranty runs out and they need replacing? Check the price on some of the most common replacement parts such as blade spindles prior to buying one. Another thing to do is take a look at some of your local mower repair shops and talk to the mechanics there and ask them which mowers they see the LEAST of. The salesmen are going to push their line but the mechanics can usually tell you more about what kinds of problems are associated with each one and what repairs they see the most of.