1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need mini track loader advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Jul 5, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

wanting opinions about which mini track loader is the best and anything i need to consider so i am not sorry later..will probably be a used unit.
    TIA
    Steve

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I tell people:

We have a local rental company that has like 5 or 6 locations in MD and VA.

They used to have Dingos and got rid of them. They were experiencing excessive, expensive mechanical problems after they get some hours on 'em.

They switched to Ditchwitch and have been content ever since......

3. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the toro 425 and the DW500. My preference was the DW500 by far. Search for that thread, the other guys posted a ton of great info.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I want an ASV RC 30 so bad! I wouldnt get a walk behind. Ive rented them quite a bit because all I had was a single axle trailer. They are a drag compared to a sit in. Only alternative to the ASV is the little wheeled bobcat 70 or a walk behind.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I find they are clumsy and tiring to use. I would agree with 4 season and at least try out a tracked skidsteer like the asv.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

the ASV is a real track loader!

rc30.jpg

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies...i currently own 4 skid steers and am liking the idea of a small walk behind track machine as long as it can dig and lift with reasonable productivity, i don't expect it to out work my fullsize machines, it also seems like a walkbehind version would be quite manuverable in small spaces
    Steve
    PS do all attachments interchange like full size skids?

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

pretty sure the WB's will only run their own attachments. Not 100%.

9. dnltractor

dnltractor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 05 asv rc30 and about 4 attachments in excellent condition , I have had it since about 700 hrs im the second owner and now have almost 1400 hours on it , I do primarily grading type work and construction site clean ups and this machine is worth its weight in gold , I love it and am planning on purchasing either a takeuchi tl 220 or 230 this year to go with it , I get so much work with it just because of its small size and ability to fit in those tight areas , I am the only one in my area with this size skid and have pretty much captured this corner of the market in my area , people are always amazed at the things I can do with this machine , pound for pound its a real workhorse

10. ppl

ppl LawnSite Member

I have run several different walk behinds track loaders. I have found that the MT 55 is the best one that I have used. It has a high track setup and is shorter then most. It has a 550 lifting cap. The other ones digo and dw have an inline track with drive motor and they seem to pop tracks off alot. The controls on the MT are easy to work over the DW. Plus the MT is diesel. The only thing that I do not like is reverse is very slow.